Shooting training system

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Lippman Roi

Shooting training system

Post by Lippman Roi »

Shooting training system

Hello everyone,
for a month now a friend and I been working, developing a shooter training system similar to Scatt,
our implementation is wireless based on bluetooth communication. the software was developed from scratch using Microsoft .Net C#.

we're mounting a laser pointer (currently red will be infrared) on the barrel.
Using Nintendo's wii remote we're tracking the laser dot that appears on the target, the Wii sends via bluetooth x,y coordinate of the dot it sees.

everything works great from a close distance (2 meters) once we place our target 10M away from the shooter our laser beam scatters and the laser's dot diameter is getting too big making it difficult for the Wii remote to send accurate coordinates.

As it seems we need a laser that has a dot diameter of 1 millimeter at 10 meter but we're currently willing to settle down for a bit less then 5 millimeter dot diameter at 10 meters.

I'll like to ask dose anyone can tell me what's scatt laser dot diameter at 10 meters?

Thank you, Lippman Roi

roilipman@gmail.com
David Levene

Re: Shooting training system

Post by David Levene »

Lippman Roi wrote:Shooting training system
I'll like to ask dose anyone can tell me what's scatt laser dot diameter at 10 meters?
Scatt doesn't use lasers. It has pulsed infra-red LEDs in the target frame which are sensed by the unit mounted on the gun.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Which would be like reversing the Wii, so the receiver is on the rifle and the wiimote on the target.
Lippman Roi

Post by Lippman Roi »

We're aren't rejecting the possibility of using an infrared LED(s),
At the begging of the project we tried placing a LED within the barrel but at a distance of 10M our camera couldn't see it so we placed it on the barrel now the camera saw the LED but it's resolution wasn't high enough to pick up small movements that's why we had turned to laser.

which brings me to my second question where can i get such laser (red or infrared beam, dot diameter less then 5mm at a distance of 10M) at a decent price?

Thank you.
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

I recall hearing that Bluetooth has a limitation of 10 meters.

Is your bluetooth devices distanced 10 meters or further when this issue arrises?
Roi Lippman

Post by Roi Lippman »

nirvanaisanx wrote:I recall hearing that Bluetooth has a limitation of 10 meters.

Is your bluetooth devices distanced 10 meters or further when this issue arrises?
As i mentioned I'm using Nitendo's Wii remote as my bluetooth device, as far as I've checked 10 meters is no problem this device is capable of transmitting data over 50 meters and further. Imagine shooting at a 50 meters range live rounds and also getting trace and statistics of you're shooting without the need for any wiring.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The Noptel combines the transmitter and sensor in the same device. They use an ir led and I suppose a ccd detector all in the same device. A reflector is mounted on the target. Has the advantage of keeping all the wiring in one place. Much easier to use with live fire out to 50m than any of the others I have seen.
Lippman Roi

Post by Lippman Roi »

pdeal wrote:The Noptel combines the transmitter and sensor in the same device. They use an ir led and I suppose a ccd detector all in the same device. A reflector is mounted on the target. Has the advantage of keeping all the wiring in one place. Much easier to use with live fire out to 50m than any of the others I have seen.
I used to practice with Scatt, I've never saw any of Noptel products, thank you for the information.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Would be great if someone did make a wireless one though.