Saving Old Targets?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Oz

Saving Old Targets?

Post by Oz »

Since I have a program that logs my shots into a database from which I can then review historical information, graphs and such; does anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of saving old 5-shot training targets?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Monitoring progression, troubleshooting should you fall back into old/bad habits, correlating performances with life situations (health issues, personal problems, etc). Can't hurt by saving them.
BPBrinson

process focused

Post by BPBrinson »

I always advocate the tossing of old targets and letting someone else score and keep track of progress.

1. It is the past, we can not change it, we want to move forward

2. I have seen the what I call "results monsters". Spending too much time on results can be detrimental to forward progress. A dog chasing its tail comes to mind. Focus your attention on only the round traveling down the barrel,the process leading to and after that shot and the results take care of themselves.

3. If you let someone else score your targets (competitions or coach) with the results given to you at wide intervals. The positive feelings of suprise when you see the progress, can be a great motivator! This works well with young shooters.

I would like to suggest that focus on the process and not the results, the results will come much faster and easier.

Don't forget to recycle!
Brooks
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I do agree with Brooks,
On my team we have our coaches score and keep track of the targets. Also what program are you using to keep track, I might be interested in it for my team.

thanks

lax
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

yes ! Especially one shot finals targets

Patch the back with tape or slide another target, or strip of target in behind it and shooth them again.

What do Edelmann's cost now 10 Cents each?
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

Yes, and once they are well perforated, put them in the recycle bin. Every club has one, right?

Starting to hug the trees more as I get older.
Brooks
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

As an unrecalcitrant itinerant statistical analyzer and process evaluator:

throw that sh*t away. Unless you are actually performing designed experiments and SQC on critical factors in a Kaizen environment- and you probably aren't- all you are doing is trying to drive your car down the road by looking in your rear view mirror.

On the other hand

If you would like to use designed experiments in an SPC kaizen/PVR environment,. let's talk. I can hook you up.

Are you trying to improve the process of delivering the perfect shot reliably and with a high degree of confidence? Then do it. Focus on behaviors.

Holes in paper are a side effect- not even a main effect- of doing the right things.
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

ROTFLMAO!! Steve, I was going to call you to see if everything is OK have not heard from you in a while, on TT or otherwise. The above post confirms you are just fine. Your head been in your work lately since school started? LOL

Brooks
Last edited by BPBrinson on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2650 Plus

Saving Targets

Post by 2650 Plus »

Do save your perfect targets. I mean those where the score is 100! put them in your gun box and allways remember the shot sequence you were using when you shot them. Think about the intensity you were using at the time and try to recreate the same enviornment in your next match. Use the target as a confidence building exercise and try to convince yourself that you can shoot many more just as good. Go out and do exactly that. Good Shooting Bill Horton
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

Good point, Bill! I do have a "perfect 10.9" airgun target, you know, the one in thousands that have the ring intact all the way around the hole, with my shot plan and other reminder notes written on the front and back that is part of my bench set up.

Brooks
Oz

Post by Oz »

Thanks for all the input. Much like my shots recently, the opinions are all over the place ;)

As for the question about the software I'm using, I haven't found any commercially available or open source logging and graphing tracking software so I wrote my own. It's a web-based application and pretty intuitive. It's also scalable to a huge number of users.

I'll password protect the shot entry area of my user and let anyone interested take a look.

Oz
Oz

Post by Oz »

BTW - The star goes to Steve for the best combination of insight, humor and extreme use of the English language to make good points ;)