Enemy: Pulse or Tension?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Enemy: Pulse or Tension?

Post by BGC »

Earlier I belived my increasing pulse was the source to bad shots in "nervous" moments in (prone) competitions. But recently, I have experienced that I can shoot really tight groups and 100's, even though I have strong pulse. Hmmm... Is it that simple, that high muscular tension is a worse enemy to bad shots than strong pulse? The pulse can sometimes be hard to get rid of, but the tension can be controlled and reduced in an easier way, if only I remember to relax shoulders etc before each shot. What is your experience?
Thanks.
GrayJay22

Post by GrayJay22 »

There should be no muscle tension at all when shooting - you should be relying on your skeletal structure as much as possible to support the weight of the rifle.

I also have a strong pulse - it should not bother you if you find a position in which your are relying on your skeleton. Remember to fire between heartbeats.

One technique for relaxing muscles is to stretch before you shoot - don't strain your muscles, just limber them up. Long, slow breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth, are an excellent way to relax your mind and reduce your heart rate.

Does this help?

Congrats on the Scores, and good luck with relaxing, :)

GrayJay
BGC

Post by BGC »

Thanks GrayJay22. I was thinking of the other kind of muscle tension, "the mental one", or "fear tension" that may occur when you are in the finals for example. Not a muscle tension that comes from a bad position.
GrayJay22

Post by GrayJay22 »

Gotcha BGC, but same thing applies with the breathing and stretching, etc. It aids in acheiving a confident, comfortable mind set before a competition.

'With Winning in Mind', by Lanny Bassham, really highlights the mental aspects of sport and how to cope mentally with nerves, equipment problems, etc....

The majority of shooters I know would rather not have to endure finals, and as a result end up nervous and shaky.... But I think finals are the greatest part of the competition!! It all depends on the shooter's mindset.

Glad to be of assistance,

GrayJay
Last edited by GrayJay22 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

You have to train your self not to get excited. Breath deep.
It can be done. I was at a match the last time I set a new personal best.
I was automaticly calming my self down ,and trying to slow my heat rate even though the competition was over.

Just work hard, and breath deep.