Shooting Boots

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Misny

Shooting Boots

Post by Misny »

I am looking for some flat soled shoes or boots that conform to the rules for Air Rifle, but I'm not wanting to spend the $120 or so that the AHG or similar dedicated boots cost. I don't know how far I will go with this. I was looking at a sale ad for some Tony Hawk "Haulers". Does anyone know if they have too much padding and are the soles thicker than 10 mm at the toe? They look like they would be comfortable and stable for shooting.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Last time we were in NealJ's, I thought one of my shooters had tried on a pair of boots that were in the range of $70 ... sauer maybe???
Of course she had to "pick" the most expensive that were the most comfortable.

But when you're on your feet a long time (especially for the men), comfort may be worth the extra $$
WRC

Don't know the specific shoe, but ...

Post by WRC »

A skate shoe or other flat sole, even with a large bit of rubber trim around the sole, would be OK enough until you go to the national level where they actually check equipment. If you are looking to get started on a budget, I would say pick a pair at Target, discount shoe store, etc, and try those before anything sight unseen. But the important part is not to let lack of fancy equipment stand in your way of shooting. "Perfect is the enemy of good enough" PL
pwh

Post by pwh »

I'm not at all sure about this but just repeating what a friend told me.
I own a pair of shooting boots and showed them to a friend of mine who knows nothing about the subject.
He said they looked very similar to the type of shoe his son wears for skate boarding! I never looked into it but I'm sure you could take a look at them by simply doing a search on the Web. As for shooting boots.....they are a must.

~Phil
Misny

Post by Misny »

pwh,

The Tony Hawk "Haulers" are a skate boarding low top boot. They look like they would be excellent for shooting. They have been on sale recently at a store for under $35.00. I recently bought some skate board shoes for pistol shooting and I really like them. I may have to give the "Haulers" a try for rifle.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I'd just buy the shooting boots to be honest. You know they're legal in any of the matches you'll shoot, and if you decided not to stick with it, you can easily get back at least 50% of what you pay for them, more if you keep them in good shape.
pwh

Post by pwh »

Yep, by all means so would I. When you try to cut corners you usually end up buying what you should have bought in the first place and end up spending even more money. Look and shop around and buy the right item from the start. I bought some nice Gehmann boots for a decent price. In the end you'll probably end up saving money instead of going back and buying what you should have bought in the first place! As the old saying goes; "Penny wise....dollar foolish"!

~Phil
WRC

Post by WRC »

When a shooter (or their parents) makes it known that they are on a budget, I like to point out to them that there are reasonable compromises that can be made, especially if starting out. Saving for a pair of boots is fine, but in the meantime, I'd want to make sure that they keep on shooting! (Not to mention, if their boot shopping experience is anything like mine, it will take two trips to Camp Perry and one expensive mail order return to get the size and fit right). Offering a flat, affordable, shoe is a way to get them started without overwhelming their budget. Shoe, boot, hi-top, or barefeet, the basics of position are the same, and it should be where the concentration is. Not fretting about $$$. PL
Matt

Re: Shooting Boots

Post by Matt »

Misny wrote:I am looking for some flat soled shoes or boots that conform to the rules for Air Rifle, but I'm not wanting to spend the $120 or so that the AHG or similar dedicated boots cost. I don't know how far I will go with this. I was looking at a sale ad for some Tony Hawk "Haulers". Does anyone know if they have too much padding and are the soles thicker than 10 mm at the toe? They look like they would be comfortable and stable for shooting.
I would highly recommend the Sauer boots. The rear portion of the heel area will not collapse (fold in on itself) such as what happens with the AHG boot. Sauer has 'engineered' their boot to prevent this from happening. I cannot comment on other styles since I have no experience with them other than the AHG.

Matt
GrayJay22

boots

Post by GrayJay22 »

I own a pair of Perfect Style Sauer Boots, and have never had a regret. I find they fit thinner feet quite well, whereas the Kurt Thunes I once used were very wide, and hard to cinch up tight enough - they are good boots for a person with wider feet.

On the Kurt Thunes, there is also a wider flat spot on the front of the sole, which is top notch for kneeling. The sole is also wider than that of the Sauer, which is excellent for standing.... Truly optimal 3-Position boots.

I prefer the Sauers, but it is very much a case of personal preference.

**Many juniors I know have started out with Skateshoes, but you can't beat boots - they are made for the purpose.

Regards,

GrayJay