Quickwood putty for thumb rest

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Quickwood putty for thumb rest

Post by Guest »

The thumb rest of my IZH 46M is only a "half split thumb rest" for my thumb.

Half of my thumb is sticking out of thumb rest.

I am going to use Quickwood putty to create a "full thumb" rest for my thumb.

What should be my thumb be when rested? Straight thumb or slight curved thumb?

I look at the Youtube video of all Olympic shooters's thumb. They are all curved. No one shoot with a straight thumb.

So I should putty my thumb slightly curved?

Any thumb expert out there?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a "correct" answer for you. What works for me and others may not be what is correct for you.

I would also not over think this either. Try something and go with it and forget about it and focus on the important stuff.

For a data point...my thumb is slightly curved on my AP and straight on my FP.
rolado

thumb shelf

Post by rolado »

Be careful when adding to the width of the shelf as the overall width of the grip/pistol can only be 50mm if you plan on competing.
BPBrinson

IZH width

Post by BPBrinson »

If you ever decide to compete, don't do it. In fact our club has 8 or so IZH46's and we had to belt sand the left side to various degrees to get them to fit in the offical box that checks width, height and length. The thumb is not supposed to do anything anyway. If you have any pressure on the thumb, you need to re-evaluate your grip. Part of the thumb hanging off the rest is common in most high end pistols also. No part of the grip may exceed 90 degrees as to encompass the hand. Perhaps someone w/ the time can provide the link to the rule. If you must have the thumb more supported, maybe you can remove wood inside the thumb, becareful to check the natural point of the pistol as you do it. The IZH grip is a rough grip that should be carved to fit anyway.

Brooks
SteveR

Re: IZH width

Post by SteveR »

BPBrinson wrote: Part of the thumb hanging off the rest is common in most high end pistols also. No part of the grip may exceed 90 degrees as to encompass the hand. Perhaps someone w/ the time can provide the link to the rule.
Brooks
I think this is the rule :

Grips additional restrictions

No part of the grip, frame or accessories may touch any part of the wrist. The heel rest must extend at an angle of not less than 90 degrees to
the grip. This applies to the heel rest in front and behind the grip as well as on the sides. Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest
and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited. The thumb rest must allow free upward movement of the thumb. The grip must not encircle the hand. Curved surfaces on the grips or frame, including the heel and/or thumb rest, in the longitudinal direction of the pistol are permitted.

8.4.2.1.1; 8.16.0 and drawings 8.17.0

Reference : http://www.issf-shooting.org/getfile.as ... l_2006.pdf