Training question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

muldoon9

Training question

Post by muldoon9 »

Hello,
What are balance boards, and what am I supposed to do with them.
I am currently perfecting my balance, so this may
provide a break thru.

Regards
Michael
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Balance board aka wobble boards, basically they are tools to work on balance and core strength. You can use them on there own , while doing dryfire or holding exercises, or live firing. They come in various shapes and such but basically they consist of some type of platform and a central fulcrum, which you balance about.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Over here we use two wooden blocks, 1 side flat and the other side rounded and just plant our feet on those.
2650 Plus

Balance Boards

Post by 2650 Plus »

I have made several sets. I start with two 4 X 4s at least 2 inches longer than the shooters feet with shooting shoes on the feet. I then take a belt sander and round one side of each board in a continious radius. As mentioned above you place the boards as far apart as your normal shooting stance. you stand on the boards and achieve a balanced position. Next you take up your rifle and again stand on the boards shoulder the rifle in your normal shooting position and work to achieve your balance. Do this until you get bored then step off and again place the rifle in your normal shooting position. You should find that your body has found its balamce point and be steadier than before you used the balance boards. Good Shooting with a steady hold. Bill Horton [ You can also cut the radius using a band saw]
muldoon9

cutting boards

Post by muldoon9 »

Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do I cut them in the X and Y plane ? ie) round at the
bottom in the fore and aft plus left and right,
or arc in the longitudinal direction only ?

Michael
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

The ones professional trainers and physical therapists use have hemispherical bottoms- unstable in 360 degrees.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

I have been looking for some of these for the past month or two. is there somewhere that they may be purcahsed as I am not a tool-handy guy. Thanks for you help.

Paul
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

google "wobble board" and you will see dozens
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

SteveT,

Thanks for your reply. That is what I originally did but the ones I found there were not the ones I was trying to find. I am looking to find the 2 individual boards in the half-moon shape as described in "Ways of the Rifle". Any thoughts?

Paul