Best Gear?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Best Gear?

Post by Guest »

Gents,
I'm new to reading this forum. Every time we have a summer Olympics, I start thinking about competing again.

What is recommended for Free Pistol and for Air gun today? I once owned a Hammerli 150 and Feinwerkbau M65 (I'm still kicking myself for dujping them). Thanks in advance for any replies. Ed
jipe

Post by jipe »

If you looked at the Olympics, you have seen that:
- in 50m free pistol there were 7 Morini CM84E out of the 8 finalist. Gold, silver, bronze winners used a CM84E.
- in 10m AP women there were 7 Steyr LP10 (+ one Anschutz LP@ = the Anschutz version of the LP10), Gold, silver, bronze winners used an LP10.
- 10m men, 3 Steyr LP10, gold and silver winners used an LP10.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Back when I did seriuosly think about competing (1978, 1980), the hot guns were the Hammerli 150, TOZs were almost impossible to get in the US, at that time. The Feinwerkbaus (air/spring - not CO2), were also top-of-the-line. It's interesting to see how the game has progressed and the gear improved. I'll keep reading the forum. ED

Post by Guest »

since the 1988 OLympics, all but one of the airpsitols gold medals were won with Steyr. That one exception was lost at the 10th shot of the Final when Wang Yifu with a Steyr in his hand, shot a 6 and collapsed, because he dropped from Gold to nothing... so Matt Emmons is not alone in this, and Wang Yifu won the Gold in Free in 1984 so he was no newcomer.
2650 Plus

Post subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I totally agree. Start with the equipment that is winning even including their socks until you find some reason to change. The bit about socks was a joke posted earlier on some other subject but its still appropriate. Welcome back, good Shooting Bill Horton
j-team

Post by j-team »

Anonymous wrote:since the 1988 OLympics, all but one of the airpsitols gold medals were won with Steyr. That one exception was lost at the 10th shot of the Final when Wang Yifu with a Steyr in his hand, shot a 6 and collapsed, because he dropped from Gold to nothing... so Matt Emmons is not alone in this, and Wang Yifu won the Gold in Free in 1984 so he was no newcomer.
Not quite right. Pardini won mens air 1996 and 2000.
LukeP

Re: Best Gear?

Post by LukeP »

Anonymous wrote:Gents,
I'm new to reading this forum. Every time we have a summer Olympics, I start thinking about competing again.

What is recommended for Free Pistol and for Air gun today? I once owned a Hammerli 150 and Feinwerkbau M65 (I'm still kicking myself for dujping them). Thanks in advance for any replies. Ed
You can restart from what you used. They are two fine pieces of equipment.
If you read the forum you find plenty of discussions about equipment.

The general consensus for AP now focus at Morini cm162ei, Steyr lp10 and rest of the world after.
Personally i'll consider also Pardini: very very nice trigger, imho very nice feeling on shooting, a bit care needed while Morini and Steyr are maintenance free.
For FP, i think there is more choice, yeah, the general consensus is again towards Morini, and if you find it Toz, but Toz herself demonstrate how old thinks function very well in FP, so you are plenty of choice.
Imho, old thinks like Steyr LP1 co2, Pardini CO2, your FWB 65 are a great choice also today for AP, especially co2 is way better sensation over shooting than air, and pistol are cheap because folks (and stores) follow the market.

Best regards,
LukeP.

Best regards,
LukeP.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Gents,
Who, in your opinion, has the best prices on a Morini?
Thanks, Ed

Post by Guest »

Your two best alternatives are probably Pilkguns.com (host of this site) or Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service.

Pilkington hosts this site, which earns him some goodwill from the shooting community. He also reportedly provides excellent service should your Morini ever need service, and I believe he may actually "stock" these items.

Neal is a good guy with competitive prices. I don't know whether he has a service shop, and you may have to order-and-wait while the gun comes frmo Switzerland.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Anonymous wrote:Your two best alternatives are probably Pilkguns.com (host of this site) or Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service.

Pilkington hosts this site, which earns him some goodwill from the shooting community. He also reportedly provides excellent service should your Morini ever need service, and I believe he may actually "stock" these items.

Neal is a good guy with competitive prices. I don't know whether he has a service shop, and you may have to order-and-wait while the gun comes frmo Switzerland.
I would indeed avoid to buy from a shop that doesn't have it in stock since I know several people who had to wait a long time before receiving their ordered CM84E. This is especially valid if you want to buy the two stage trigger version of the CM84E.