I just watched the video of the last shot and the aftermath

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Re: The Last Shot

Post by David Levene »

Dean Peterson wrote:And the error was made by someone CLEARLY capable (favored even) of capturing the victory with a significant lead. There was NO DOUBT in my mind that going into the final in second place, with a dominate standing score in the preliminary, meant Mat was favored to win...........eveyone on the line must have known this too.
I am not saying that Matt is not one of the world's best, but you seem to be discounting Debevec who qualified in first position and is the World and Olympic record holder both with and without finals. How many times would you expect him to shoot two 7.?s in a final.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Couple of random thoughts:

- Perhaps there is a weakness in the USAS Sports Psychology program?

- Wouldn't we want our athletes simply focused on their own performance; and not thinking about who else is on the line and/or what they are shooting (or not)?

I'm thinking of the Free Pistol finals and the incredible level of focus demonstrated by the gold medal winner . . . it appeared to me that even after winning the gold, he was still so deep in the bubble (ready to take another shot) it was like watching a deep sea diver rise to the surface when he finally let go of his own game to realize his victory . . .

I like to add to Matt Emmons fame

Post by Guest »

I realized that in this Olympics, more and more Americans bitch and compaint and do whatever it takes to draw attention. I think they found out that drawing attention is better than winning the gold medal, because it is a fact that drawing attention get them more TV and media exposure, which translate to $$$. Matt is right, his screw-up in Athens brought him more fame and $$$ than if he won the gold medal. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, who was the American that won us a gold medal in shooting in Beijing?

I think Matt knows this, after Athens OLympics.
Now we are the suckers. Yea, I am one of them, because I wrote this article to add to his fame, and gives him more exposure. I won't talk about the other american shooters that won medal in Beijing, because they didn't do what Matt did.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Ladies and Gentleman, For what its worth, a little ISP tracking has narrowed down our mysterious Matt basher to two possible people, and I am guessing that this one is a certain AW from California who is already infamous on this forum.
trinity

Re: I like to add to Matt Emmons fame

Post by trinity »

Anonymous wrote:I realized that in this Olympics, more and more Americans bitch and compaint and do whatever it takes to draw attention. I think they found out that drawing attention is better than winning the gold medal, because it is a fact that drawing attention get them more TV and media exposure, which translate to $$$. Matt is right, his screw-up in Athens brought him more fame and $$$ than if he won the gold medal. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, who was the American that won us a gold medal in shooting in Beijing?

Now we are the suckers. Yea, I am one of them, because I wrote this article to add to his fame, and gives him more exposure. I won't talk about the other american shooters that won medal in Beijing, because they didn't do what Matt did.
Are you saying that Matt shot the 4.4 intentionally??? Are you ABSO-F*CKING-LUTLY MAD?!

Nerves get the best of us, and even Olympic Champions like Matt. When you heart is racing and you are trying to feel that, I am guessing, less than 100 g trigger, all sorts of stuff can happen.

If you watched the finals, you would have seen a number of other shooters also posted some very poor shots, 8.x, 7.x.

To accuse Matt of doing it intentionally is just ludicrous.

Now a few posts ago someone suggested perhaps a weakness in his sport psyche program, that I can accept. But what you are saying is just dumb.

-trinity
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:I realized that in this Olympics, more and more Americans bitch and compaint and do whatever it takes to draw attention. I think they found out that drawing attention is better than winning the gold medal, because it is a fact that drawing attention get them more TV and media exposure, which translate to $$$. Matt is right, his screw-up in Athens brought him more fame and $$$ than if he won the gold medal. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, who was the American that won us a gold medal in shooting in Beijing?

I see you think Matt is like you.

You get attention by writing stupid things, because if you didn't write something soooo stupid none of use would have responded.

I sorry you didn't get enough attention as a child.
plinker

Post by plinker »

If nothing else, at least this proves that even Olympic athletes are just like the rest of us - they're human. And humans make mistakes - and sometimes things just happen, no matter whether it's through our fault or someone else's.

One of the Chinese women shooters was a favorite to win a gold and she took a bad shot, thus dropping her out of the medals. She ended up winning another event, but I'm sure she also thinks "what if".

It's real easy for us to armchair quarterback the Olympics, and there will always be controversy, no matter what. What has impressed me the most is not the number of medals won, but how the athletes handle their successes - and their highly televised failures to win. Most of them shrug their shoulders and say that's all part of competing. Some days you do everything right, and you still don't win - it doesn't mean they failed us or themselves - it's just part of the competition.

One of my favorite commercials that has been aired this year is the track star from the Athens games who fell down on the track and lost. I remember when this happened and it will be forever in my memory. This kid's father came out of the stands and onto the track and together they crossed the finish line. He was dead last in the race, but the important part of his race was that he finished. We need to all keep this in mind before we criticise these athletes who are there simply because they want to compete, no matter what the outcome.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

trinity wrote:

Are you saying that Matt shot the 4.4 intentionally??? Are you ABSO-F*CKING-LUTLY MAD?!
I have read that post several times, hoping that I had mis-understood it. I have come to the conclusion that yes, he is ABSO-F*CKING-LUTLY MAD.

It seems to me, and I am sure many others, that a leading shooter just had a major attack of nerves. The memory of Athens must have made the pressure on Matt for his last shot unbelievable. Stuff happens.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

I realized that in this Olympics, more and more Americans bitch and compaint and do whatever it takes to draw attention. I think they found out that drawing attention is better than winning the gold medal, because it is a fact that drawing attention get them more TV and media exposure, which translate to $$$. Matt is right, his screw-up in Athens brought him more fame and $$$ than if he won the gold medal. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, who was the American that won us a gold medal in shooting in Beijing?

One thing I know FOR SURE, you are a gutless, spineless worm. Why don't you post a comment with your NAME on it instead of hiding behind a Guest account! I think you are scum and MY NAME, you gutless pig, is Paul Messina and I live in TEXAS!

Matt did the best job he could and if anyone else thinks differently than go and qualify for the Olympics yourself and do better but stop bashing a damn good athlete! There is not a single person on this board, myself included, who has not had a bad day or crossfired on a target at some point. At the USA Shooting Zone 8 Championships last month my rifle discharged early during during my offhand sequence and I wound up with a less than perfect score on that shot...it is not an intentional act. Since when is finishing 4th in the world a crime? Grow the hell up and stop wasting everyone's time by writing your bu!!$hit.

To all of you good folks out there I apologize for my bluntness. I do not mean to lash out at everyone, my comments are directed at the bottom-feeder Guest who seems to think that Matt is an attention seeker who would sacrifice years of hard work for 5-seconds of fame. Good shooting!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Wow.

You live long enough and you will be exposed to some really messed up stuff.

Who was the 100m guy who set a new world record (in qualifier heats) and started dancing and celebrating 6 yards short of the finish line?

Think about how he would have felt had his career been cut short- he would have to live the rest of his life knowing that he could have taken *at least* another .7 seconds off the world record . . . but threw it awy with his hi-jinks.

Every world class athlete (with a brain; and Matt is certainly one of those) knows full well that they have to put absolutely everything they can into doing their absolute best every single time.

You never know when it will all be over. And it ain't up to you.

All these feedback proved my point

Post by Guest »

All these feedback and responses proved my point.
Now lets talk about the other shooters that won medals. I think they should get as much fame and exposure as Matt.
plinker

Post by plinker »

Guest,

How about we just stop all of this bashing and name-calling, and just congratulate ALL of the athletes who competed in the Olympics - regardless of whether they won a medal or not.
cxiaoga

Post by cxiaoga »

If you know Chinese and look up Chinese forum you would know that, for the last shot in Athens, Emmons earned a beautiful wife, for the last shot in Beijing, he earned hearts of billions of Chinese people.
He is the champion without medal.