Please, give me an advice about Sako Triace .22 / .32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LukeP

Please, give me an advice about Sako Triace .22 / .32

Post by LukeP »

Any advice about this model?
Sako Triace .22 with conversion .32.

I discovered one in shop, but it was discontinued so i think spare parts are a problem.
Found good reviews, long times ago in archive section.
Seems really well made, simple to change from caliber to caliber.
How she shoot?
When i saw it i was searching for (used like new) Benelli mp90 .32.
For the same price i can take Sako (used like new) in two caliber.

Any advice?
Thank you,
best regards,
LukeP.
Last edited by LukeP on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Jim

Tri-Ace

Post by Dr. Jim »

I built grips for a set about 5 years ago. Solid piece, but some bits looked suspect. Previously only saw one used at the Western Canada Games way back in 1983!
Cheers -- Jim
Haleva

Post by Haleva »

nice gun, we have one in the club. Very good for standard , I'm not sure it is the best gun for rapid fire.

BTW, any idea where I can get good grips (small right hand) for this model (in a reasonable price) ?

The standard grips are huge.
LukeP

Pics added. What do you think?

Post by LukeP »

Pics added. What do you think?
Price is 800$. It's first version.

It's a bargain or dead iron?

Thank you,
best regards,
LukeP.
Eurastus

Re: Pics added. What do you think?

Post by Eurastus »

LukeP wrote:Price is 800$. It's first version.
I would buy it at that price, but then again, I'm a big Sako fan and have not seen one for sale in a very long time.

On the other hand, it would be more of a collector's item for me and not an every-day shooter.
LukeP

Re: Pics added. What do you think?

Post by LukeP »

Eurastus wrote:
LukeP wrote:Price is 800$. It's first version.
I would buy it at that price, but then again, I'm a big Sako fan and have not seen one for sale in a very long time.

On the other hand, it would be more of a collector's item for me and not an every-day shooter.
Here in Italy there are two at the same moment.
Identically, one for 800$ and other one for 1500$.... (two different seller)
I want to begin seriously center fire and standard, and with sako at this price is like having two pistol with not to much money.

Please, can i ask you some advice?
Do you think is a serious competitor?
Is well made?
Any defect of this first series (low frame short version)?
Any that i cannot be able to replace if would broke?
I think common parts like main spring and plastic shock buffer are not a problem, but metal parts?

Thank you again,
best regards,
LukeP.
Ernie Rodriguez

Sako Triace Combo

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Luke-At $800 with two bbls-what are you waiting for?? Buy it and be happy.
Remington

Sako pistols

Post by Remington »

I had a full set of the Sako Triace for years. The standard and centrefire are superb. The 22 short needed some gunsmithing to cycle accurately and fitted with a wraparound grip was very competitive. I had two frames, one for the 22 short and one for the 22 long/32. Being all steel nothing will break. Better than Italian alloy pistols which do crack.
fennomen

Post by fennomen »

It a quality, SAKO has been made only from best materials. I have had it since 1985 without any problem. 22 LR 22 Short and .32 WD. Specially hand grips for different hands you can have from Morini. Pistol has very simple mecanism and I havent had any problem during 20years.
From picture I can see that pistol is later model. And its better one.
First model did no´t had reinforcement over the pipe line.
Luis

Re: Sako pistols

Post by Luis »

I have a Sako Triace to. I have a problem. My .22 percussion cap Broke. where I can buy a new?

Best Regards
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

AFAIK, no more spare parts. Know two poeple with SAKOs, they are having parts made all the time.
Pär Hylander swe

Post by Pär Hylander swe »

Haleva wrote:nice gun, we have one in the club. Very good for standard , I'm not sure it is the best gun for rapid fire.
I do not agree, after testing several pistols including a custom built converted Walther OSP (R Skanåkers old one) (barrel, grips, triggering unit etc converted to .22 LR), I always fall back to my old Sako Trice .22 LR. There is something special with the soft felt recoil that I cannot specify (as an engineer, this really bother me...), but it makes the Sako my favorite.

Since I custimized the slide (about 15 grammes of, with the help of an anglegrinder, it is even better)

The Walther OSP/GSP is my backup, used it in the finals in the swedish championships 2008 when the firingpin of the Sako broke (spareparts at home is of no use when beeing 500 km away...)

My top result with the Sako is 586 (swedish record), so I would say that the old Sako is reasonably competitive compared to modern factory specials.

Pär
Jean

Magazine for Sako Triace .22 lr

Post by Jean »

Hi,

I'm looking for a .22 lr maganize (5-shoot capacity)of SAKO TRIACE pistol.

Does anyone here knows where could I find this model of magazine?

Thanks,

Jean.

jeansantos38@gmail.com
schauckis

Post by schauckis »

I'm afraid spares will be a problem. This is probably today the model's biggest shortcoming.

As to accuracy and shootability, it is one of the best ever made. This is due to the fairly high weight, good grip angle (this was improved on the Tri-Ace v. the original .22-.32); and superb balance. I have never, but ever, held any pistol whose balance is better. This also makes the gun superb in fast shooting series.

The grip is a bit narrow. Morini probably no longer makes custom grips for the Sako but they used to. Another problem with the grip is the wide steel part in the front (part of the frame) that feels cold and cannot be changed in shape. Many have simply taped it to make it feel less cold and to give better grip.

The trigger action can be adjusted, but to get the best feel you may want to take it to a gunsmith to be polished.

Apparently the Tri-Ace guns are very rugged, as you still see many in action despite their old age.

- Lars/Finland
skulking

firing pin

Post by skulking »

Pär Hylander swe wrote:
Haleva wrote:nice gun, we have one in the club. Very good for standard , I'm not sure it is the best gun for rapid fire.
I do not agree, after testing several pistols including a custom built converted Walther OSP (R Skanåkers old one) (barrel, grips, triggering unit etc converted to .22 LR), I always fall back to my old Sako Trice .22 LR. There is something special with the soft felt recoil that I cannot specify (as an engineer, this really bother me...), but it makes the Sako my favorite.

Since I custimized the slide (about 15 grammes of, with the help of an anglegrinder, it is even better)

The Walther OSP/GSP is my backup, used it in the finals in the swedish championships 2008 when the firingpin of the Sako broke (spareparts at home is of no use when beeing 500 km away...)

My top result with the Sako is 586 (swedish record), so I would say that the old Sako is reasonably competitive compared to modern factory specials.

Pär
Hi Pär,
I have the same problem with spare parts.
Actually I need for my .22 lr an firing pin part# 3211325 but cannot find any. http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Triace.pdf
Where did you got it from ?
Does anyone have an exploded assembly drawing of the firing pin to get it custom made?
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Skulking/Germany