Felt Pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Felt Pellets

Post by Misny »

I've always used the felt pellets for cleaning. Maybe once a year, I run a few patches through my barrel using a piece of weed trimmer line. I use one with solvent and then dry patches. I was recently told that the felt pellets do no good. I was advised to get some TSI 301 solvent/ lube and use that to clean the bore on a pull- through followed with dry patches. I never worried about the air pistol, but now that I'm venturing out into air rifle, I want the best possible accuracy. What say you all?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Last edited by Richard H on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Most solvents will destroy your air gun seals/o-rings. TSI 301 & 321 are said to be safe for seals and will also provide some protection to your bore if you store your gun in a damp or humid environment.
I find the 321 is very effective in cleaning and lubricating my pistol magazines.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

#####
Last edited by Richard H on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Richard H wrote:Unless who ever told you is either a manufacture, or someone like our host, I'd ignore their advice.
:) Sounds like Good advice. Which Mfg. do you work for again? :)

Personally, I pull a wet patch with TSI301 through after each tin of pellets, followed by some dry patches. They always come out dirty. I'm of the opinion that clean is better than dirty.

I haven't seen PROOF one way or the other about cleaning, just anecdotal evidence. I'd love to See some proof though, if anyone has such information (not sure it exists).

Brian
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Misny,

You are on the right track. Air rifle targets are much more difficult to score tens on, and require giving yourself the best opportunity.

A pull through of one or two patches with TSI followed by dry patches after each tin of pellets will do you untill you start shooting in the 580+ range.

Our top junior (national JORC champion in 1998) felt he saw degradation in accuracy if he did not clean after about 300 pellets.

It's fast and easy to do. What are the negatives?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd seek the manufacturers advice but I don't believe 'heavy cleaning' is required more than a couple of times a year max. Downsides are damage to the seals and / or barrel. Solvent or fibres from felt pellets can also damage the mechanics of the gun if they get inside the air port.

Like I say, find out what the manufacturers recommend and follow their advice.

Rob.
Misny

Post by Misny »

FWB recommends the felt pellets, in their owner's manual for the 601.
Stu

Felt Pellets

Post by Stu »

Morini recommends felt cleaning pellets for my CM162EI in the
owners manual

Stu