CCI ST'd Vel.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
R.E. Smalley

CCI ST'd Vel.

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Hello all;

Does anyone have experience with the CCI standard velocity sold in 50 round paper boxes? Is the packaging the only difference?

Thank you,
R.E. smalley
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I don't believe that I have ever seen CCI in a cardboard box. There website does not show any boxed that way either.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

However, I do remember that at one time CCI may have had the contract to produce ammo for the CMP and some of that stuff may be in some kind of generic cardboard box.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I use CCI standard for training packaged in cardboard boxes of 50 pieces (with a 50 holes plastic plate inside). Same design/color as the 100 pieces plastic box:

The 50 pieces small boxes are packaged in boxes of 10 small boxes = 500 pieces which are again packaged in boxes of 10 500 pieces boxes = 5000 pieces.

I think they are the same as the ones sold in 100 pieces plastic box.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

I think the 50 round boxes are old stock are they not?
Jaybar

Same name different ammo

Post by Jaybar »

The CCI Standard Velocity in the 50 round cardboard box is NOT the same round as the CCI Standard Velocity in the traditional 100 round plastic boxes. Note that the product code on 100 round box is 0032; the product code on the cardboard 50 box is 00035. A holding company named ATK owns both CCI and Federal ( as well as a bunch of other shooting industry companies). The boxes of 50 were made for overseas shipment (something about some European countries had rules restricting how many rounds could be purchased at one time). In previous years the stuff in the boxes of 50 was exactly the same round as was in the 100 boxes. A couple of years ago the powers-that-be at ATK decided to produce the 50 box stuff at their Federal facility. The projectile, case, powder, and primer are the Federal Target round even though the head stamp on the case is a "C". The box,construction with single end flaps and internal plastic tray is identical with the Federal Target except it says CCI Standard Velocity on it.
I bought 2 cases cheap of the 50 box stuff based on its name. When I got the ammo home and inspected it I noticed that the lead was silver in color as opposed to the black hue that I was used to, plus the projectile is of a different shape. When I started shooting it (in a High Standard) I got a bothersome number of failures to fire. In the 10 or so cases (yep 50,000 rounds) of CCI-SV in the plastic boxes that I had fired previously I experience a total of 2 mis-fires. I called CCI to complain and inquire and they told me the sad tale noted above. When I suggested that it was mis-leading labeling to call both products by the same name (CCI Standard Velocity in big letters) they pointed out that the product codes were different and should have been noted before I purchased. The officicial company line is that the two loadings are "ballistically similar but different".
Oddly the cardboard box stuff works great in my various Rugers but not so well in several High Standards.
Misny

Post by Misny »

The CCI Standard Velocity sold in 50 round paper boxes by Champion's Choice at Camp Perry looks identical to that in the plastic box. It has the black bullet and has a slightly oily feel ala SK Jagd. I bought four bricks for my dad to try. We'll see how it shoots, but if appearance is any indication, it ought to be a winner.
Jaybar

Product code??

Post by Jaybar »

Misny,
What is the product code printed on the front of the 50 box stuff that you bought from Champions Choice???
jipe

Post by jipe »

My CCI standard in 50 pieces box (bought in Europe) has also a black lead bullet with the same shape as the 100 pieces plastic box.

No misfire, feeding, ejection problems at all in my Morini CM22M RF or Hammerli 160.

The only problem I noticed is that these ammunition are sligthly bigger than all other brands => they are hard to push into the chamber of both pistols.

It didn't cause any problem with the Morini but might cause in other pistols what could explain the problems you encountered
R.E. Smalley

CCI St'd velocity

Post by R.E. Smalley »

jipe

I think the bullet shape might be why it chambers differently. I have not measured any, but I wonder if the forward driving band on the bullet is farther forward than on other brands.

When I chamber CCI SV or Green tag in my Winchester 52E you can feel what I think is the forward driving band being forced into the lead of the bore.

I bought a case at Perry and it does look like the plastic box stuff that I have, but it is of the other product code. This is the first time I bought it in a paper box so I have no basis for that comparison.

I got a reply on Bullseye-l that said the stuff for sale at Perry was a different shade of blue than previous purchases and the bullet looked like the plastic box stuff. I guess they changed it.

Actually, I hope they changed it.

Ralph
Misny

Post by Misny »

Jaybar,

Sorry, I don't have the ammo any more. My dad already picked it up.
X-Mark

Post by X-Mark »

I also bought a case of paperpack from Champions Choice. code:50035
I have a plastic box, code 0032
Same bullet shape, same color, same quality and accuracy.
My 41 is very picky, it will only feed CCI SV or Green Tag.
Will not feed Federal.
So far 3000+ rounds with no FTFs.
I'm happy. $2 cheaper per 100 and my 41 likes it.
I say: CCI get rid of the $2 plastic box. Who needs it? Save the environment!
R.E. Smalley

CCI St'd velocity

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Here's some possibly good information that I received from the Bullseye-l list It's seems to fit with what I am reading on the list:

"CCI 22 LRSV in paper boxes (Part 00035) can be manufactured by 'either'CCI in Lewiston, ID OR Federal Cartridge in Anoka, MN and is generally intended for overseas sales. However, sometimes Part 0035 is sold stateside. There are differences in the product, depending on where it was made.

The Federal product is manufactured with Federals components and to a slightly higher velocity than the CCI product. Also, Federals product has a light colored 'silver' bullet and CCI's a blacker colored bullet.

However, the only way that I can 'definitely' tell thedifference is by the configuration of the lot numbers on the product.

Example: CCI B24P16
Example: Federal 2BR403
CCI 22 LRSV in "plastic" (Part 0032)is manufactured exclusively @ theCCI Lewiston Idaho facility."
jipe

Re: CCI St'd velocity

Post by jipe »

R.E. Smalley wrote:Federals product has a light colored 'silver' bullet and CCI's a blacker colored bullet.

However, the only way that I can 'definitely' tell thedifference is by the configuration of the lot numbers on the product.

Example: CCI B24P16
Example: Federal 2BR403
CCI 22 LRSV in "plastic" (Part 0032)is manufactured exclusively @ theCCI Lewiston Idaho facility."
Mine have a black colored bullet, lot number is H13N26. It is written on the big box containing 5000 cartridges . The smaller packaging, i.e. the boxes of 500 and 50 cartridges do not carry a lot number.

So, I suppose that what I have is manufactured by CCI and not by Federal ?
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Here in Oz we get the 50 round cardboard packets. Haven't used the stuff for a few years but others do with not too many problems.

Jipe, you mention it appears harder to chamber. I saw an article in a shooting magazine some time back which compared diameters of the cases in popular .22 rounds. CCI was the widest and it was causing some problems in some guns.

I think the magazine is still around at the club. Will check it out.
Colin
jipe

Post by jipe »

ColinC wrote:Jipe, you mention it appears harder to chamber. I saw an article in a shooting magazine some time back which compared diameters of the cases in popular .22 rounds. CCI was the widest and it was causing some problems in some guns.

I think the magazine is still around at the club. Will check it out.
Colin
Thanks a lot for the information.

This confirm my experience.

Fortunately for me, it doesn't cause problems in my Morini CM22M RF where I use the CCI standard for training.

But, I imagine very well that it could cause problems in some standard or RF pistol.

In my Hammerli 160 special, it is more of a problem: the extractor extract the case about 4mm out of the chamber but the case is not ejected and I have to take it completely out manually. Now, CCI standard is not the ammunition I usually use in that pistol.
R.E. Smalley

CCI St'd Velocity

Post by R.E. Smalley »

"Mine have a black colored bullet, lot number is H13N26. It is written on the big box containing 5000 cartridges . The smaller packaging, i.e. the boxes of 500 and 50 cartridges do not carry a lot number.

So, I suppose that what I have is manufactured by CCI and not by Federal ?"

That is what I am hoping.

RES
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I have both cardboard boxes of 50 and the plastic 100 boxes. As far as I can tell, both are identical. Perhaps in days of old, there were differences?

Also, all boxes carry the lot number. The small boxes have the lot number embossed in the back and it is sometimes difficult to read.

Best,

Joe
PASA008

CCI SV

Post by PASA008 »

I am unable to shoot either CCI Green Tag, or SV as the High Standard I shoot has a very tight match chamber, and about 50% of the time the slide will stop about a 1/16th" short of going into battery. the length of the bullet keeps it from fully seating. It works fine in a bolt action rifle, but causes unreliability in semi-auto pistols. Mine isn't the only one.