New Prone shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

New Prone shooter

Post by bored184 »

I currently own a Remington 40X that will get used to shoot 50 and 100 yd prone. I am new to all this so please forgive my ignorance. I currently own the the rifle, sling, glove, a Redfield Palma rear and a Olympic front. I am currently looking at purchasing the Gehman 565 to attach to the Palma. http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=565
Does one need the filters and the polarization lens? I am 24 with good eyes. Also can one pick up one of these used in good shape?
My next question is a prone shooting coat different then a standing coat? Also who makes good jackets and is it possible to buy those used to and if so where?
Any other information one can give to a beginning shooter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bored184
1813benny

some thoughts....

Post by 1813benny »

All of the extra filters etc. in a rear iris are a personal preference...and for many shooters starting out are more of a hinderence than help. The more simple your setup the better, and I would recommend a Gehman 510 w/ a seperate screw in polarizer for the sight.

Coats for shooting prone do exist, but they are not extremely different from a position coat. The main area that is modified is in the area behind the neck - position coats are typically stiffer in that area due to the canvas while a special prone only coat has soft flexible material that prevents cutting into the back of the neck.

If you are just getting started and have a somewhat typical body size/shape, I would recommend getting an off the rack canvas ISU coat first, such as one from Champion Shooter's Supply. With the ISU coat, you will be legal for all types of shooting disciplines vs a highpower coat that has straps.

Other recommendations....just get good basic equipment and invest time in practice ammunition. Far too many beginners chase the equipment rather than advancing their ability and technique.
bored184

Thanks

Post by bored184 »

Thanks for the help. I am still trying to figure out what I need and what I want. Can anyone tell me about the Remington 40X, how well do the compare to the Anschutz and the Feinwerkbau in prone shooting. All that I have been able to find out is that they are considered heavy for todays standard. Any more help will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Bored184
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi Bored,
I suggest since you have the 40X and you are just getting started, shoot the rifle. It is very difficult to learn to dope the wind at first and the rifle will shoot better than you. Talk to other competitors about their equipment as you learn to shoot. You don't need everything to get started. When I started in the 70s we had two relays and I was allowed to use the equipment of the master class shooter on my firing point. I didn't even have a mat when I first started.
Don't worry about "today's standards" when you are just getting started.
Have fun!
Ben