1st shot dropping low???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2many7s

1st shot dropping low???

Post by 2many7s »

My son and I each have new 8002's. We like them very much but recently his seems to have developed a small quirk. When it has set a long time or if the cylinder has been changed the first shot will be low, like a 5. The next will be like an 8 or 9 then back to shooting 10's

This sounds to my novice ears like a regulator that is leaking down. What do you guys think and does it need to go to Pilk for service?

It has about 1000 to 1500 rounds through it.

Thanks
robf

Post by robf »

for the short term, fire a few off beforehand, but yes, somewhere in the charge path, it's losing it... probably in the reg.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I don't think your regulator has anything wrong, I had the same happen to me a few yrs ago when I got my first PCP Anschutz AR, the first 5-10 shots velocity is much lower, after that the M/V will settle down around 580 ft/s. or so.

There could be a couple of reason, most likely is the valve being brand new is still a little sticky, need a few hundred of operating cycle for it to work itself smooth, kinda like a new semi auto pistol need a few hundred rounds thru it for it to function reliably.

The other possible cause could be the valve/regulator adjustment is slightly off, a just filled tank, with the pressure at the highest point, is making the valve to close a few micro second faster than it should when struck by the striker, after a number of shots, the pressure drop to a a level where the valve is open/close more consistantly.

Chances are, after a couple of months of use these symptom will disappear as mine did, however I'll advice any serious air gunner invest in an chronograph, they are cheap and extremely handy in providing velocity info about your air guns.

Tony
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

In just about every competition I go to where it's a mix of pistol and rifle (I'm a pistol shooter) the rifle shooters will always release air a couple of times before starting with the sighters. Basicly no exceptions to it, they always do it.
robf

Post by robf »

the only time you should see a drop is after a fill, after that, the charge path should hold charge. If it's not, it's a problem.
Quest1

Regulator

Post by Quest1 »

It sounds like the regulator has a problem and it shouldn't take a few rounds for the shots to settle down. I would send it back to Scott and have him examine the rifle.