84 E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jak10x

84 E

Post by jak10x »

What do you use to clean barrels on your 84 E Free Pistols?

Just a Nylon brush or more?

Thanks, John
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

I usually run a bore snake through the bore after matches and practice sessions. Once or twice a year, I do a little more thorough a job, and use a solvent and patches and spend time cleaning the breach block and extractor area. Same for my TOZ. The semi autos get a little bit more attention after matches and practices.

cricman
shadow

Post by shadow »

Do you use the Bore Snake with the wire brush or have you removed it?
JAK10X

84 e

Post by JAK10X »

Not sure you can get a Bore snake through an 84 E unless you take the grip off?

John
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

I use a snake that is about 10 years old, and the bristle are bent over from use on other firearms. They have very little contact with the chamber and bore. Though I doubt that the bristles on a new snake would cause measurable damage at the cyclic rate that I clean (read "use") my 84E! I think the greater problem with brushes happens when the operator vigorously spins it in the chamber area or reverses it, mid-bore or mid-chamber.

And yes, you can use a snake without removing the grip: Drop the block (and insure that the weapon is clear of live ammunition), insert the brass-weighted end like a round of ammunition, feed the chord- muzzle down, turn the gun over, angle the bore 45 degrees (muzzle up), and slowly draw the snake through.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

cricman
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I've found VFG cleaning felts to be excellent. At the range I'm too lazy to assemble a cleaning rod so I just use a plastic pull-through with the VFG felts. The pull-through is actually a piece of .080" plastic cord from a string trimmer (weed eater, whipper snipper, whatever you want to call those devices designed to leave your ankles bleeding while the weeds laugh at you unmercilessly! LoL). Take a match or cigarette lighter and melt one end of the cord so as to form a "blob" of plastic which will act as a retainter for the cleaning felt. Now all you have to do is slide a cleaning felt down the cord until it hits the big blob of plastic and is held in place.

My first felt gets a few drops of CLP which seems to act pretty well as both solvent and lubricant. The second and/or third felts are pulled through dry (always from the breech end so the last thing the felt touches is the muzzle).

I don't make any money on recommending the VFG felts, but rather I find them to be quite handy. Since I'm essentially lazy I know that if I had to use other methods the pistols would be cleaned far less frequently, so a $25 bag of felts is an investment in a few years of good pistol cleanliness.

Hope this helps!
Mellberg

Re: 84 e

Post by Mellberg »

JAK10X wrote:Not sure you can get a Bore snake through an 84 E unless you take the grip off?

John
Why not? The boresnake is not stiff. It will go through an 84E without even a hint of a problem. In fact you can either go through the hole in the back of the grip or you can just shove it in like a cartridge.

I can't imagine one single .22lr weapon that a boresnake can't get through 'cause it would make the gun more or less unable to shoot/function.

If you can extract a shell you can get the boresnake through the barrell.

Bu the way, even if the boresnake was stiff like a rod you could easily clean it through the hole in the back of the grip...
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

If you don't have enough room in the breech, cut a bit off the brass weight. It does not take much weight to pull the cord through the barrel.