Air Gun "Overflow" Backstop?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gwhite

Air Gun "Overflow" Backstop?

Post by Gwhite »

I have a commercial air gun backstop that works just fine, but it's no bigger than the targets. I would like to allow my daughter to use it, and she's just learning. I want to put something up behind the backstop in case one gets away from her. I'm hoping this will be a rare event, but for the sake of safety. the wall, and the stuff around it, I think an emergency backstop would be a good idea for a while. I'm assuming this will be a temporary thing, so I don't want to spend a lot of time or money doing anything elaborate.

I know Homosote (~ 1/2" thick solid gray cardboard) is too hard, and that pellets can just bounce off. Presumably a LOT of layers of corrugated cardboard would work, possibly with a plywood backer. Scrap fabric or carpet scraps in some combination might work as well.

Does anyone have any experience with a tidy solution for this? Unlike a regular backstop, it won't have to survive continuous hits in a small area, just stop the rare stray shot.

Thanks!
Westy

Temp backstop

Post by Westy »

A number of years ago I used to shoot down my parants hallway with a target tapped to a phone book. This was all good until until it starting filling up and then the pellets start rebounding down the hallway. But if its only for protecting against the odd shot that might get away and if your set up allows putting a few phone books around your current back stop may provide a solution.
TomN

Post by TomN »

Three inches of corrugated cardboard will stop pellets fired from an air rifle. I put the cardboard in a 20 x 12 inch box and hold it in place with tape. Works great.
glewis4252

Backstop

Post by glewis4252 »

Hi,

Hang an old throw rug behind the target. leaving the bottom loose. Medieval armies used the method to stop longbow arrows so I'm sure it will work for pellets.

Grant
Guest currently overseas

Post by Guest currently overseas »

We used truck mud flaps at one on the NCAA tournaments I was at. It worked very well.
Bill177

DO NOT USE MUD FLAPS

Post by Bill177 »

Truck mud flaps are made of rubber and can bounce pellets right back to their source. I know this for a fact - I have experienced it. DO NOT USE MUD FLAPS AS A BACK STOP!