Spotting Scopes.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Lane

Spotting Scopes.

Post by Lane »

Been looking at the Kowa #TSN-661 with the TSE-17HD 25X eyepiece. Also at Champions Choice's new Masters Series ED 27X66mm which is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. Anyone have any thoughts on these two spotting scopes?
1813benny

kowa 661 w/ 25x LER

Post by 1813benny »

I have this scope w/ the 25x LER and I can say that this was one of be best pieces of shooting equipment that I have ever purchased. The scope has excellent optics to the point that I can see mirage in all conditions, even first thing in the morning.

The Kowa is also just the right compromise on size if you travel.

The ability to rotate the scope easily is also a nice feature to fine tune it's location relative to your position.

I'd purchase another one in a heart beat.
Ernie Rodriguez

KOWA Scope

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have a Bushnell,a Celestron and a 60mm Kowa. The Kowa scope is worth the extra money and the optics are superb.
quest1

Konus Spotting Scopes

Post by quest1 »

I have used a Kowa, Leupold, Swaroski, Konus & Browning Spotting Scopes and if you want clear bright optics the Konus is equal to any of the other top brands. We sell all these brands except the Kowa and the Konus comes with an unconditional warranty at our store, which means if it breaks or you break the scope we just replace the scope. The scope is out selling the other brands because they are just as bright as the top brands and at one third the price.
Lane

Post by Lane »

The Konus scope is about $150.00 from C/C. Brightness is a big plus and is one of the reasons I'm upgrading. But there are numerous other optic factors that play into a top of the line spotting scope. The money isn't the problem. Just finding it hard to belive that something that cheap is on the same scale as a $650.00 World leader. NOW! Having said that. I was really impressed with the little spotting scope that Pilkguns sells from China. So I guess there are some sleepers out there. The size is a factor as I don't want the big 80mm or 88mm scopes. Thanks to all that have replied and those to come.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Lane,
If I'm not too late, what do you intend to use the scope for, i.e. air pistol at 10m or high power rifle at 300m? That can make a big difference in your decision. In general, I do not believe in skimping on optics. A quality scope will last your lifetime and hold its resale value. IMO buy the best scope you can afford-even if it is a reach in the near term.
Lane

Post by Lane »

Gary, I plan on getting the Kowa #TSN-661 with the TSE-17HD 25X eyepiece. I really want this to be the last spotter that I have to buy, I'am getting up in age and I want a really bright and clear scope to see 22 holes at 50 yds. out to a hundred on occasion. This might be overkill, but I don't care if I can see the fibers in the target paper. I'am sure there are cheaper spotting scopes that would do a good job for less money. I just don't want to screw around trying to find them. Then going to the trouble of selling them if they fail to do what I want. Hope the KOWA TSN-661 lives up to the acculades that I have read on here and from actual users on other forums. It's a shame I haven't run into any one that has one for me to look thru. I have looked thru the 80mm that the high power guys use. But they are way to big for what I want.
anschutz

scopes

Post by anschutz »

I have the Kowa 661 with the 20-40 zoom, it's the best buy I have made, the optics are bright and clear right out to 100yrds. I use it for smallbore shooting and have been able to see the shot holes at 100yrds when others have been struggling with their scopes, you get what you pay for with optics, you will not be disappointed
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Lane,
I think your choice of the Kowa is fine. Based on my personal experience, I would not go any stronger than the 25X eyepiece, however, because you lose too much light. Look up the term "relative brightness" if you are not familiar with it. Your 66mm scope with the 25X eyepiece has a relative brightness of 6.97. If you use the 40X zoom, your relative brightness falls to 2.72! If you drop down to the 20X eyepiece your RB equals 10.89.
slinger

Post by slinger »

This may not be fair,,,,,,,but I hope Lane gets that new scope! I seem to end up with "everything" that he does NOT like,,,,,and that's a long list. Maybe I will get " lucky" again !
anschutz

scope

Post by anschutz »

GaryBF wrote:Lane,
I think your choice of the Kowa is fine. Based on my personal experience, I would not go any stronger than the 25X eyepiece, however, because you lose too much light. Look up the term "relative brightness" if you are not familiar with it. Your 66mm scope with the 25X eyepiece has a relative brightness of 6.97. If you use the 40X zoom, your relative brightness falls to 2.72! If you drop down to the 20X eyepiece your RB equals 10.89.
I have never had any issues with the brightness when on the 40 zoom, true the image is brighter at 20 mag' but the benefit of having the 40 zoom at 100yrds to see the shot holes far out ways this.At 50 metres I tend to have it at 30zoom and indoors when shooting at 25yrds on the 20zoom. Colin
Lane

Spotting Scopes.

Post by Lane »

Got on the phone today with Campions choice to order the scope and was told they are out of stock. That is the way my luck usually goes. Will check on Champion shooters supply this week. Again, thanks to all for the help.