Fiocchi .22 LR pistol ammo?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

WarWagon

Fiocchi .22 LR pistol ammo?

Post by WarWagon »

Years ago, I was lucky enough to come across a few bricks of blue box Fiocchi pistol ammo in .22 LR. This stuff shot like a laser at 50m out of my Anschutz 1813, and was perhaps the best ammo I've ever had.

Does Fiocchi still manufacture this stuff?
blue62

Post by blue62 »

check Midwayusa.com
I know they carry fiocchi rimfire ammo

Dave
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

The designation you might look up is 22SM280 which is a 40 gr. 280 meter/sec (920 fps) rapid fire pistol ammo. There is also 22SM320 which is the 40 gr. 320 meter/sec (1050) free pistol and rifle round. The 22M320 is the same but designated training ammo and a bit less expensive. The SM is for Super Match which is part of the Exacta line.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Its definitely not the SM320, because I still have some of that Fiocchi red laying around. This one definitely specified pistol ammo on the front of the box (which was blue). I'll have to take a look, but I do believe it was a slower round. I know the lubes comparing the two were noticeably different in color.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fiocchi makes a wide range of .22LR, some of it very good, and others pretty poor. The better stuff is labeled SM (Super Match, their top of the line) or M (Match, the next down the line). Then there is a number - eg.320 - which is the nominal velocity in meters per second. 320 is made for rifle, and I've seen 315 for semi-auto pistol, and 300 for free pistol. That labeling has been pretty consistent, but I believe the box colors and designs have often changed. So look for the designation, not the box color.

FYI they also make Maxac, which I have found to be rather poor quality, as well as several additional types which are actually made in Mexico, and seem to be very similar to Aguila (if not identical). Many sellers, such as Midway, don't do a great job of identifying which Fiocchi is which, so you have to be careful.

HTH,
FredB
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

From current(?) Fiocchi of America catalogue, Super Match series listed is: 22SM320 = 'Exacta Rifle Super Match' - 40gr, 1050fps; 22SM340 = 'Exacta Biathlon Match' - 40gr, 1120fps; 22SM200 = 'Compensated' - 29gr, 650fps.

Match series listed is: 22M320 = 'Match Training' - 40gr, 1050fps; 22MAXAC = 'Training' - 40gr, 1148fps.

From the current(?) Fiocchi Munizioni SPA catalogue (ie the Italian parent), 22SM320 seems the same (called SM320), intended for 'all rifle disciplines using long rifle barrel'; 22SM340 is called 'Biathlon SM', intended for 'Biathlon rifle competitions in wet / cold weather conditions'; there is, however, also SM300, 40gr, 984fps, intended for 'standard pistol, sport pistol, free pistol, all rifle disciplines using short rifle barrel'. Cheaper Match line range includes M300, M320, with similar characteristics to Super Match series.

I have recently bought a substantial quantity of M300, here in one of the further corners of the earth, in NZ, but I don't know whether it is old stock or readily available. It performs excellently, as far as reliability is concerned. As far as accuracy is concerned, the operator leaves a lot to be desired!

From the cats, it looks rather like the US branch of Fiocchi offers only a restricted range, not ideally suited to pistols.
Eley

Fiocchi for volume use

Post by Eley »

Fred wrote:
FYI they also make Maxac, which I have found to be rather poor quality, as well as several additional types which are actually made in Mexico, and seem to be very similar to Aguila (if not identical). Many sellers, such as Midway, don't do a great job of identifying which Fiocchi is which, so you have to be careful.

HTH,
FredB
Here, Fiocchi ammo is nicknamed "fiasco" ammo. For obvious reasons.
We some times use the Fiocchi for rapidfire training.
Some Fiocchi ammo, rimfire and center fire, is budget prised.