Goals fro USASNC?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steve Swartz

Goals fro USASNC?

Post by Steve Swartz »

Anyone have goals established for the upcoming USASNC? For me it breaks down as:

Behavioral (things I can control):
- Fewer than 10 "Should Have Put the Gun Downs" per match (MAP/FP)
- At least 20 "Perfect Executions" per match (MAP/FP)
- All esle at least an "acceptable execution" or an abort.

Scores (things I can influence):
- Fewer than 10 8s in AP/10 7s or less in FP per match
- At least 20 10s in AP/15 10s in FP per match
- 560+ in MAP; 520+ in FP at least one match

Standings (things I can only indirectly influence):
- At least top 15 one match in MAP
- At least top 20 one match in FP

[note all of the numbes might not exactly work out]

What are *your* personal expectations and/or goals for the matches?
2650 Plus

shooting performance

Post by 2650 Plus »

Ach du Lieber, Steve du hat geflungen ine oct ! Better luck next time, Bill Horton
2650 Plus

shooting performance

Post by 2650 Plus »

Ach du Lieber, Steve du hat geflungen ine oct ! Better luck next time, Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Hope to see you there Bill- what are your goals?

(in English please- babelfish could make no sense whatsoever out of your post)
Ted

Post by Ted »

Steve,
Hope you meet and exceed your goals!
Ted
old goat

Post by old goat »

You have absolutely no influence on the Standings - may as well cross them off your list and concentrate on those things YOU can change.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

What is becoming an ole saying in my neighborhood:

Decide on a goal & you have a very small chance for success.
Write down the goal & there is a slight improvement in your chance of success.
Share the goal, espicially with those that care about you and your goal and can contribute to your success and you have a very high chance for success!
2650 Plus

GI Fractured German

Post by 2650 Plus »

Steve I must admit I couldnt figure out why you were planning on shooting 8s and 7s. Try harder to plan on better shots until you actually shoot a bad one.Then forget it and go back to planing on tens for the rest of the string. I know it may not be possible but each shot should be planed as a ten, executed the way you shoot a ten , and scored a ten until you find that it is not. Your way is more realistic but the positive approach produces higher scores. Talk to Ed Hall before you depart for the matches,and find out what he has to say about it. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

GI Fractured German

Post by 2650 Plus »

Steve I must admit I couldnt figure out why you were planning on shooting 8s and 7s. Try harder to plan on better shots until you actually shoot a bad one.Then forget it and go back to planing on tens for the rest of the string. I know it may not be possible but each shot should be planed as a ten, executed the way you shoot a ten , and scored a ten until you find that it is not. Your way is more realistic but the positive approach produces higher scores. Talk to Ed Hall before you depart for the matches,and find out what he has to say about it. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bill:

Hmm- I don't see any mention of 8s or 7s in my post. Maybe I am reading disabled.

I am focusing on executing proper behaviors. Sometimes a "perfectly executed behavior" is a ten. If you are in good health etc. that is usually the case. However, sometimes a "perfectly executed behavior" is not a ten. Depends on the size of your minimum arc of movement.

Each shot is planned as a perfect shot. But the hole in the paper depends on some things are outside one's control. If I execute perfect behaviors for every shot I will shoot to the maximum of my ability.

"The maximum of my ability" will be different for different days/under different circumstances.

The best *anyone* can hope for is to shoot to their potential. Right now, my potential is reduced somewhat due to physical incapacity.

The "best you can do" is the best you can do- sometimes that is a ten.

I am somewhat puzzled to think that you believe you can actually "will yourself" a ten?

Is that what you mean? I'm sure I must be misunderstanding you. In english and german.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve Swartz wrote:Bill:

Hmm- I don't see any mention of 8s or 7s in my post. Maybe I am reading disabled.
- Fewer than 10 8s in AP/10 7s or less in FP per match

what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve

Post by Guest »

Looks like the rifle shooters have a better handle on the mental game than a lot of pistol shooters. Maybe that's why pistol is easier to an established rifle shooter than vice versa?
RobStubbs

Re: what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:Looks like the rifle shooters have a better handle on the mental game than a lot of pistol shooters. Maybe that's why pistol is easier to an established rifle shooter than vice versa?
Looks like anonymous is reading something different to everybody else. I've seen nothing that remotely supports what you're saying and I've certainly never seen a good rifle shooter become a great pistol shooter.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bill/Fred:

Yep that's a 100% certified "Gotcha!"

How did that negative idea sneak in there . . . actually, I should have left *any* mention of "score" and "standing" goals off the list.

Those are things we don't control.

Should have practiced what I preach and just included behavioral goals!
wrc

Post by wrc »

Actually, score-wise, why don't you simply re-think them into the positive, instead of just leave them out. Score reflects performance, so why not say that your performance will include the required correct procedure to shoot more 10s, 9s and 8s. You will be more patient, or attentative, and not shoot until the effort will give you something better. It's a round about way of saying "I won't shoot 7 or worse" but it gives your brain something positive to attach to, instead of negative.
bryan

Post by bryan »

steve, So what does your new goal look like?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Well, I *really* wanted to hear what other people's goals were . . . but as a result of some great comments, I have in fact revised mine a bit.

Behavioral (things I can control):
- Fewer than 10 "Should Have Put the Gun Downs" per match (MAP/FP)
- At least 20 "Perfect Executions" per match (MAP/FP)
- All else at least an "acceptable execution" or an abort.

*I need to refine what my definitions of "Perfect," "Should Have Aborted (PTFGD)," and "Acceptable." The boundaries between them have changed as my skills have improved and then degraded. Next week is "Technique Week" and I will make a note to refine my standards of performance.

- More than 50 shots "inside-call" AP/ 40 "inside-call" FP per match
- At least 20 10s in AP/15 10s in FP per match
- 560+ in MAP; 520+ in FP at least one match

O.K. the last are not really goals but more like desired secondary outcomes:

Standings (things I can only indirectly influence):
- At least top 15 one match in MAP
- At least top 20 one match in FP

These might not seem very ambitious to some . . . but the matches are, after all, only four weeks away!

Note that the focus is on SHOOTING TO MY POTENTIAL (wherever that may be) and not necessarily shooting to some ABSOLUTE STANDARD which can only be achieved by MOVING YOUR POTENTIAL wchich takes a Lo-o-o-o-ong time . . .
Fred Mannis

Goals

Post by Fred Mannis »

These have been my goals for the past year, and see no need to change them for the NC

- always PTFGD if something/anything does not feel right
- all shots in the black
- at least 80% inside the 9 ring (MAP)
- at least 80% inside the 8 ring (FP)
Last edited by Fred Mannis on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawnpurslow

psychology

Post by shawnpurslow »

Although i'm new to shooting i was previously (feels like in another life) a national level athlete.

My goal was always just to concentrate on the next action. This for me in shooting will translate to simply to improving on or repeating the previous shot (always based on performance not result, so we don't try to repeat lucky tens).

The problem with saying less than or 80% type targets is that if you make a few mistakes you'll be thinking 'don't hit an 8 and miss my goals' rather than hit a ten.

When i studied for my master degree my psychology professor said that the best piece of psychological advice he ever received was on a pair of shoes: 'Just Do It'. (Nike)

Shawn
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Shawn:

So what do you think about "Behavioral" (performing an action a certain way) vs. "Outcome" (a hole in paper) goals?