Sight Radius - Air Pistol or Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

Sight Radius - Air Pistol or Free Pistol

Post by shadow »

Since most air pistols and free pistols allow the front sight to be mounted in more than one position, I am sitting here wondering if there is a natural progression......... That is, should a beginner start with a short sight radius and increase it as his/her skills increase? What are the advantages of a short sight radius and a long sight radius? Are there any "great" shooters who use a short sight radius?
Thanks and have a good night.
Susan
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

I am sure you'll find people on this forum with far more expertise that I have, but I don't think there is a "work for all" formula... What works best for me may not work at all for you. I think you need to try all sort of "scenarios" until you can narrow down what works best for you. It takes time , a lot of practice and at time can be quite frustrating.

cheers.
sportshooter

Post by sportshooter »

I agree that everyone should try this approach: what works best for me?

This is my strongest belief.

The most important factor to control is the trigger.

The second factor is alignment of the front sight.

If these two factors are consistently good, the shooters ability to control every aspect of the shot procedure such as timing, hold, follow through tend to improve, and therefore even the ability to control a longer sight radius tend to improve.

Both long and short sight radius are used by great shooters, but I think that a longer sight radius is harder but more beneficial to me because it forces me harder to master the alignment of the front sight and when I do this properly I shoot more good tens.
2650 Plus

sight radius

Post by 2650 Plus »

IMO A 7 inch distance between sights is plenty. I have shot with a greater distance between the sights, but found that still ness of hold is the same , and that has more to do with group size than the distance between the sights. The apperance of less movement even thoiugh it is probably the same is more conducive to better trigger control as the sights seem to be in better alignment. The top bullseye NRA shooters consistantly group around 3 to 4 inches at fifty yards with an average sight radius of about the 7 inches I have described. The international shooters generally use a somewhat longer sight radius but dont shoot much smaller groups, excepting the world champions and free pistol shooters at the top echelon. Take a look at the national records shot with the 45 and its short sight radius and use what you like best. Allignment is far more important than distance between the sights. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Alignment *is* a function of sight radius.

But not int he way you think.

Longer siht radius does *not* equal better alignment.

(OBTW- tighter/narrower sgith widths do not equal better alignment either).

You want the *combination* of front sight width, rear sight width, and sight radius that give *you* the best control over alignment.

Without interfering with proper trigger relase.

A very long radius/tight combination frequently creates perfect conditions for chicken finger (bad). At the other end of the spectrum, very short sight radius with very wide widths create a "sloppy" or difficult to hold alignment.

Back in the old days of iron sighted 2700, a shorter radius with narrower widths worked great for a combination of slow/sustained fire over 50/25 yards. The same combination might not be optimal for 50 meter free pistol.

Steve
GSA

Post by GSA »

Sight configuration needs to give the shooter the best information possible. Sight information does not interfere with the trigger pull. They are both independently trained.

Sight radius is probably fine on most guns and should not be over thought.

Can I see it clearly? is the more important question. Does it give me the best information possible? should be the next question. We want the best information the same way we want the best quality gun, ammo, conditions, etc.

I would suggest a wide front sight because it is easy to "see". I would suggest a U shaped rear sight because it gives better information about what is happening. When the front sight moves, the light on one side of a U shaped rear sight disappears in both the X and the Y direction making the amount of light perceived disappear quickly... conversely, the light on the OTHER side increases much quicker also.

Trigger pull can be trained. Sight picture should not be intentionally lessened in order to somehow trick the shooter into a better trigger pull.

In this, a short term victory does not help the shooter in the longer term.