Wiind Flags

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

laxratnd

Wiind Flags

Post by laxratnd »

Hey guys, i have an outdoor match coming up soon and this range never has any wind flags, does anybody know where i could find some good but not expensive wind flags. Thanks

Lax.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Are you looking for large wind flags for down range, or smaller ones to stake in the ground at intermittent spots between the target and the firing points?
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Looking for intermediate small ones to stake down between the firing line and the target. There is not much there to judge wind by.

thanks

lax
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Our ranges always took the streamer approach. We would use wooden stakes, with either a flourescent orange or red streamer (nylon or any other thin, lightweight material) fastened to a nail or eye hook at the top.

We preferred to stay away from thinner dowel rods because they would flex or bob in a stiff breeze, and were more expensive to make anyways.

The stake approach also makes it easy to move the flag if a shooter requests to have it moved because its in the line of sight or blocking their spotting scope.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

What I have done that seems to work well is to make some stakes out of thin rebar. I bent the 9" or so over at 90 degrees and welded a washer on. I then suspended 9" strips of survey tape from the washers using a loose zip tie loop. Really a piece of heavy steel wire would work for the stake. These are very responsive.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Thanks guys ill look into it. I have seen some nice setups but cant seem to find where people get them. Ill probably be making some of my own with a wooden dowl. ill have to experiment and see how they go. Now am i allowed to have intermediate wind flags just on my point. I mean people are going to be able to see them and use them also.

lax.
WarWagon

Re: hey

Post by WarWagon »

laxratnd wrote:Thanks guys ill look into it. I have seen some nice setups but cant seem to find where people get them. Ill probably be making some of my own with a wooden dowl. ill have to experiment and see how they go. Now am i allowed to have intermediate wind flags just on my point. I mean people are going to be able to see them and use them also.

lax.
Check with whoever is running the match, but as long as other shooters don't protest, it shouldn't be an issue. Many matches I've shot in specify in the rules that the range MUST provide intermediate wind flags.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

thanks. Yeah they never protest as they tend to look at my flags for a guide to the wind. lol.

Thanks again

lax.
methosb

Post by methosb »

You probably shouldn't go for red flags. We have had people here who have difficulty distinguishing between the flags and the grass behind it with red flags due to those shooters being red-green colour-blind.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Thanks guys, Well i talked to the match director and of course we cant have personnel flags, the only way to do it is if we all have flags or if we dont have flags. He provides all the expenses for the match so i decided to make up some flags, ill make enough for the whole match, let me know what you guys think.

Also just found out there are regulations the flags have to be??

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... CN1099.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... CN1098.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... CN1097.jpg

thanks

lax