Hawaii High School shooting help needed

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

bradtroyer

Hawaii High School shooting help needed

Post by bradtroyer »

The Hawaii FNRA is working to equip a league of high school Precision Air Rifle teams using funds raised by the kids – at no cost to the local department of education. They could use your help.

They are looking for precision shooting equipment of all sorts to purchase before June to support a series of junior shooting camps that they are planning to hold. They are looking for precision air rifles but also coats, gloves, boots, and whatever else you might have that you don't need.

The young lady in charge of the Friends of the NRA group there is a high school senior who took up the position to earn enough money to cover the cost of their local shooters attending matches including the Junior Olympic Sporter Air Rifle National Championships.

If you have any precision shooting gear, please consider contacting Dawn Horn and letting her know what you have and what your price is for the equipment. I would ask that you also consider giving them a discount on the price. The FNRA is a 501C3 charity so any amount lower than the going rate can be considered a donation to the FNRA and can be deducted from you taxes (Dawn can give you a donation form from the FNRA). Her contact info is:

Dawn R. Horn
129 S. Kalaheo Ave.
Kailua, HI 96734
dawnhorn@hawaii.rr.com
(808) 225-7873

Here is the information she sent me:
----------------------------------------

My name is Heather Horn. I am a senior at Punahou School, and a member of the varsity rifle team. I am also the co-chairperson with Audy Kimura for the first ever Friends of National Rifle Association (Friends of NRA) committee in Hawaii. The Friends of NRA is the charitable arm of the National Rifle Association Foundation that supports youth and adult shooting sports programs, firearms safety education, and range improvements.

Last summer, five high school shooters from Hawaii qualified for individual slots at the Junior Olympic Sporter Air Rifle National Championships. We asked the NRA to help us with funds to cover the cost of our transportation to the competition. The NRA politely declined, explaining that although they had lots of funds and a program under the Friends of NRA to support youth shooting competitions, Hawaii had never established a state level Friends of NRA committee or raised and contributed funds through an FNRA Dinner, therefore Hawaii’s shooters were not able to receive grants. As a result, only two of Hawaii’s five nationally rated individual shooters were able to afford to attend the competition.

My team mates and I have established the Hawaii FNRA committee so that future young marksmen from Hawaii will not be disadvantaged or unable to compete nationally due to the cost of transportation and to help support our shooting community. Enclosed are flyers announcing the first Friends of NRA Dinner to raise funds to support shooting activities in Hawaii. Please share these flyers with your team members and friends.

The dinner will feature auctions and door prizes of firearms, art, and hunting and shooting merchandise. Using funds I personally raised by recruiting new NRA members at the Gun Show, I am donating a new Daisy Sporter Air Rifle (753) for a drawing to reward high school rifle team members who help with the dinner and participate on the committee. Please join me by attending the dinner or making your donation.

The committee is interested in your thoughts and knowledge of projects, range improvements, shooting program needs, and other suggestions that may be appropriate uses for the funds we raise. Please feel free to forward your ideas to me.
ted carter

Post by ted carter »

My son is interested to be part of the organization. Is this project in Honolulu. Thanks!