Target height?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Target height?

Post by pwh »

I'm sure this is in the ISSF rules someplace but I must be missing it.
What is the target height supposed to be for 10 meter air rifle?

~Phil
bellyshooter

10 M target height (air rifle)

Post by bellyshooter »

You can access the rules on the USAS website. Target heights are discussed in the "General Technical Rules."

For air rifle you're looking at 1.40 m to the center of the target with a plus/minus of 0.05m.

Note, too, that if you are setting up a range for multiple shooters, each firing point needs to be within plus/minus of 1 cm of the others.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

1.40 M is correct but it has to be measured at the firing point not at the target. This is incase the floor of the range is not perfectly 'flat'.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to peepsight for pointing out the measuring should be done at the firing point, and giving me an "Ah ha!" moment. I can set an inexpensive laser level on the rifle rest I use for offhand, measure the distance from the floor, and project a line all around the range. Make a few marks, shift to the next firing point and repeat. Slick!
pwh

Post by pwh »

Damn.....no wonder I had a hard time shooting!
I simply put together a box with ballistic putty back in '79 and there it remained. I noticed a few pieces of shrapnel bounce off of some of the embedded pellets and come flying my way the other day! That was it! I ordered a heavy duty pellet trap and decided that when I place it up I might as well try and get the right height (of which I had no idea until now). My old one was about 5'10"!! lol

I'm not too concerned about exactness as I'll be using some 5 and 10 target bulls so that takes care of the 1.40M for most of the bulls. Aside from that I can only achieve a distance of about 29' to the target but, that's quite good for what I'm doing considering I have it all set up in my basement.

~Phil