Alter Nill grips? best way?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dunski

Alter Nill grips? best way?

Post by Dunski »

I have a new benelli MP 90 32. This is my first anotomical grip. The grips fit quite nicely except for at the bottom in the back. I must have a fat hand!!! See the FAT of my hand overhanging the grip (arrows) in the attached photo.

It is keeping me from getting the "V" of my hand directly behind the pistol. I am thinking I should remove some material. Should I? How Should it be done?

-Do I have the adjustable palm shelf too tight?
-Is a Dremel the tool of choice? Which bit?
-How do I get close to the Nill finish? Rubbed oil? Birchwood Casey water based stain?

-Any other pointers?

Thanks!
Attachments
Benelli grip.JPG
Benelli grip.JPG (32.65 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Chris

Post by Chris »

first thing I would recommend you is to hold up your pistol and point it at a wall where you have good light. Use your blinder if you use one. Close your eyes and wiggle the end of your pistol around slightly and then with your eyes still closed line up your sights. When you think they are lined up then open them up. Where is your front sight? If you remove material from where you are indicating your front sight might go to the right. If your front sight needs to go right then taking some material away would help correct your error.

It does look like you might need to add some material to the grip where the palm of your hand is close to your thumb where that meaty part is. From the top arrow go straight up and where the grip stops it looks like there is a little gap. Not sure if this is because you have too much material lower. It is hard to tell from the picture.

For removing material I would use a dremel and the bit with 60 grit sand paper for that part of the grip. you could go 80. the less material you remove at a time the better. Start out slow and try it out often until you get the hang of it.

now if you really care about how good your grip looks then you are going to have to experiment to get the same finish. I do not have nill grips. I have stared with Morini grips and at least one of them I sure no one would be able to tell what the original grip was that I stared with. Find some quikwood to add materail if you take away too much.

pointers....a grip that fits is worth more than one that looks good. If you really care about how it looks. modifiy it to the point that is fits and then have someone make you a copy of the modified one if you want a nice looking grip. one day I will have a nice looking grip for my FP. i have been saying that for 8 years.

Good luck
Dunski

Post by Dunski »

"It does look like you might need to add some material to the grip where the palm of your hand is close to your thumb where that meaty part is. From the top arrow go straight up and where the grip stops it looks like there is a little gap. Not sure if this is because you have too much material lower. It is hard to tell from the picture."

I think the gap is caused by the fat meat of my hand (arrows) holding my hand away. I also think I had the Palm shelf adjusted too tight and it is squeezing my hand. I adjusted it so the shelf is looser and it still feels like i need to remove some material.

I doesn't feel as if I have "full purchase" on the pistol. It feels like my hand is shifted around to the left (left handed) and not directly behind the gun to absorb recoil.....my grip shifts under recoil

Thanks!

After 80 rounds the meat of my hand stings a bit.
Chris

Post by Chris »

There are a few things you need to try and accomplish

It should be comfortable and no extra pressue any place. Sounds like you have this. Lowering the shelf some and removing some extra material sounds like were you need to start.

You also need to try and make sure your grip is in contact with your hand as much as posable. no gaps of air that will allow the pistol to move during recoil. Once you are done there then try seeing where it points. Remove or add material to make sights line up with out you moving your hand. This is natural point of aim with respect to the wrist.

Do not be afraid to take some material away. It is hard to start but once you start you will have fun and it gets easier.

Post by Guest »

Not to hijack this thread ..

Let's say that you wanted to rotate the orientation of your grip to the right, to contact the wall of the (LH) grip, rather than to the left as Dunski requires.

Is this typically accomplished by shaving the right-hand side of the area where the web of your hand makes contact? - or is it preferable to add putty to the left-hand side of the grip?

The reason that I ask is that I have a LH Morini for my LP-5 that feels a little large. In order to obtain a good trigger stroke, I need to rotate my hand to the left which brings the base of my palm away from the wall.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Your NPA plays a big part of this. If you rotate your hand around and you are spot on and the grip is comfortable then add some material. Since you said you feel like the grip is too big then I would try and take material away were the web of your hand is. You can also look at removing some materail from under your fingers or the part of your hand where the fingers attach. This can also help get your trigger finger closer.

I am goign to assume you have moved your trigger back already to try and reach.

If you take away you can always add back and if you add too much you can take it away.
Dunski

Post by Dunski »

I borrowed the neighbor's Dremel w/ 60 grit sanding drum and got up the nerve to remove the material I spoke about in the earlier post. No problem. I kept taking a bit until I got it right then spent 15 minutes with a 4 penney finish nail and a light hammer and put the stippling back on. If I didn't tell you it was altered, you'd be hard-pressed to see that it isn't factory. Thanks for the info and encouragement!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Great to hear. I am glad you took the plunge. The more you shoot you may notice you find you need to make minor adjustments to your grips as you improve in performance and those adjustments will help your scores. It took me about 6-9 months to get 2 grips dialed in perfectly. I would shoot and make some changes and shoot for several weeks and then make more adjustments.