Question on Walther GSP .22 barrel...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Question on Walther GSP .22 barrel...

Post by MSC »

I'm looking at a used one with what appears to be an aftermarket barrel. It looks to be stainless, with no front sight or any markings on it (I've only seen a couple pics). Square, of course, not round. Is this one of the aftermarket barrels that I hear about (commonly used for greater then 25yds, as I hear GSP's are so-so past that distance...)

I guess what I'm wondering is, is this a normal aftermarket upgrade, or a factory one I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any input!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

MSC - since you didn't give a lot of detail, I'll take a guess.

If it's in .32S&W Long then the barrel without sights may well be aftermarket designed for NRA at 50 yards. If it's in .22 then likewise it's likely aftermarket, but not likely with any real difference in twist rate etc as the stock GSP in .22 does pretty well just as it is.
Mike Taylor

GSP

Post by Mike Taylor »

The GSP did come in a 'silver' finish (nickle or chrome?) as an option. Any chance that the barrel might be that.

While the GSP .22 might not be the tightest grouping of target semi-autos, from personal experience I can vouch that with the right ammo, it will be entirely suitable at 50 yards.
Mike T.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Mike - did the factory silver barrel come without sights? I'm keying off that as the driver for my suggestion that it's a custom barrel that's been done for matches where scopes/red dots are allowed. Since I'm far from knowledgeable on the GSP I'd welcome correction if my conclusion is off-base.

BTW, you'll be glad to know that back here in the east we still have a few feet of snowpack. Hopefully where you are the sun is shining and you're already shooting outdoors!
Mike Taylor

GSP barrel

Post by Mike Taylor »

Perhaps the front sight was just removed (to allow clearance for a dot sight or scope)? It would help to see a photo.
Snow is gone (has been for a month or two) at my elevation, but is still falling occasionally in the mountain passes :-(
Will start outdoors next week.
Have you (Ottawa) surpassed the old snowfall record set in '70-'71 (or was it '71-'72?) yet? My brother said last week you were only a couple of centimetres short of a new record.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks for the info guys. From your input as well as some others, I take it to be a custom barrel.

If I happen to buy it, I'll post pics.

Hey, how does the price sound - $900 OBO

Comes with 2 mags, and an UltraDot 4-Dot, mounted. All in exc cond. I thought it to be a pretty good deal, especially since it was negotiable.
Mark Briggs

Re: GSP barrel

Post by Mark Briggs »

Mike Taylor wrote:Have you (Ottawa) surpassed the old snowfall record set in '70-'71 (or was it '71-'72?) yet? My brother said last week you were only a couple of centimetres short of a new record.
I don't know if we've broken the record yet (444cm's or about 175 inches of snow in one winter) but we've got to be painfully close. It snowed again last nightl, making the term "spring" seem like a cruel misnomer. Let's cross our fingers and hope for warmer temperatures and some outdoors shooting soon!