Megalink electronic target systems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

Megalink electronic target systems

Post by John Ariani »

I'm looking to purchase the PC based Megalinf electronic target system.
Priced at Euro 1250 it's certainly not over the top considering what it offers.
http://megalink.no/defaultEN.htm
Because my computer monitor can be used (along with a program for the PC) it saves purchasing 'there' monitor which more than doubles the price.
Before I go ahead, I ws wondering if anyone has either used this brand or electronic scoring - or even dealt with the company.
Any feedback, advice, warings, accolades would be appreciated.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I myself haven't dealt with them, but I shoot with two shooters from our National team that have purchased them, they had no problems. The units are really nice and very versitile.

I take it your looking to get the Air Pistol model?

Been considering it myself.
tleddy

Electronic Target

Post by tleddy »

I visited the site and it looks to be a scoring system only - is that correct?

Tillman
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Scoring system only- not a "trainer" in the normal sense. Kind of like a "Beamhit" without the dry-fire capability.

Me personally not sure of the utility but your mileage may vary of course . . .

Steve
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:Kind of like a "Beamhit" without the dry-fire capability.
I think it would probably be more accurate to compare it to Sius-Ascor, without the ISSF endorsement.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Yes it's definitely only a target scoring system - not a trainer. (I have the Rika) I'm wanting it for indoor - 10m AP.
Reading the web site and the info on 'ML shoot' - which is the PC program which comes with it - the feedback from the target/monitor includes:
graphic presentation of all shot in the series.
last shot is flashing and average position is marked with a cross.
list of the last 10 shots in actual shot sequence
exact position of the last shot is given in large fonts.
sum of current series and total of scoring card
clock shows shooting time
printing interface so one can print off anything that's on the screen
Benefit?
An expensive (compared the the rika target return system $400) way of training at home and experiencing (and benefiting from the feedback) of electronic scoring. For those who aspire to shoot at a higher level - nationals, World Cup etc - I'm guessing the electronic scoring system used at these is quite similar.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll be making apurchase.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I don't like that large white steel plate that surrounds the target. Might just be me but I get the feeling that the target is huge with a very small black dot in the middle. I'm having great trouble achieving a good sighting picture if I'm not perfectly relaxed.
I must say I like the Sius targets a lot more. There you have a 17x17cm target with a little green/neutral colored plate around, makes it look like a target should.
Sius also has a PC-based solution called "Sius Lane".
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Also I think (uhoh, based on a hunch) that Megalink targets loose calibration with a larger marginal than other scoring targets. In Norway where Megalink targets were used for the Hell Open competition I had to adjust my sights one day very much. So much that a 9,1 to the left actually took a chunk from the white paper.

All acoustic targets loose the calibration over time, but this was a little too much and I've never seen that much differense in a Sius target.
Ted

Post by Ted »

John,
I am currently holding the Kentucky state air rifle and air pistol championship at the University of Kentucky (Mar.22 and Mar. 29). They have the megalinks system there for all 13 firing points. They have had this system for 2 years at the University of Kentucky and use it for smallbore (.22) air rifle and air pistol and have had very good success with it. It sets up easily out of the box and is easy to calibrate. Switching from .22 to one of the air disciplines is just about as easy! Highly recommend it!
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

My club has 8 of the 4K560 targets which are the ones designed for pistol. They have a 500mm x 500mm detection area and we've used them very succesfully for 10m air rifle competitions.

University College Dublin recently purchased 14 of the 4k187 systems for airgun primarily and they are extremely happy with them.

Our ones have been used for 25m pistol, 25 yard smallbore rifle, 50m smallbore rifle and air rifle without any problems with detection or calibration.

I couldn't speak highly enough of them or the support from Megalink. Spare parts are inexpensive and the whole system is so easy to set up. Sius may be better, I've no experience of running them (just shooting on them) but they are way, way more expensive to the extent that they are beyond the reach of any but the wealthiest clubs or organisations.