Weight gymnastics or not?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Weight gymnastics or not?

Post by tsokasn »

Over the last six months that I have been seriously involved with 10m air riffle,I realised that a shooter must be as relax as he can during the firing procedure.I was wondering if practising with weights(as I used before I start serious shooting practise)may harm a shooter's position.For now I only do cycling and aerobic exercise.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Its not a good idea to build up muscle groups in the gym. You need to be generally fit all over and exercises should be aimed at the cardio vascular fitness.
Ask your gym instructor for advice on what exercises you need to do for endurance rather than muscle building. Swimming and jogging are good.

Peepsight
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

General advice is to limit any weights to low weight, high repetition, rather than high weight etc. For arm type exercises you should be ok with weights about 2 Kg but discuss with someone who knows what they are doing and can advise on specific exercises to help you as a shooter.

Rob.
batty

Post by batty »

you'll highly benefit from Core Stability exercises!
Smith2013

Post by Smith2013 »

Hey, shooting rifle may be relying upon bone structure more than muscle controll, but without having fine tune muscle controll, there will be a build up of fatigue and by the end of a match your scores are likely to drop off. I would recommend that you look into martial arts as well as weight training and a lot of running if nothing else. Nutrition is also very important because if you are not healty and your body in tune with itself, you are going to have troubles controlling your heart rate, and other bodily functions. Organic is great but if nothing else, cut saturated fats, hydrogenated oils, meat at all if you want, but fish is good to have (as long as it isn't fried) because of the Omega threes that let your heart function more efficiently. Nothing is more difficult than messing up once and having your heartbeat start throwing off all of your shots because it is frustrating you, you need to be able to phase it out and know how to controll your breathing and lower your heart rate to a manageable level and relax. And if you east big macs all the time and you get a little nervous, your screwed. Being healthy has improved my shooting tremendously, and makes me feel a hundred times better every day than I used to, and I am now dating a hot chick. Being healthy rocks. look into it.