-.75 Champion lenses

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AJ008

-.75 Champion lenses

Post by AJ008 »

Decided its time for me to try out shooting glasses so I worked with my eye doctor and he gave a prescription. Thing is with my astigmatism I need a -.75 lens. From what I can find they only make +.75 and positive numbered lenses. Is there a way to get custom made glass?
I could get contacts probably but by the time I buy a few boxes of those over a few years I could have easily bought a Champion set up!
That Or just get regular glasses with just one lens...
Any ideas?
randy1952

Lenses

Post by randy1952 »

Your eye doctor should be able to order a lens for you. Just make sure that you want the prescription to where the front sight is clear and not the distant target. He will also need to know the size of the lens holder.
tleddy

eye correction

Post by tleddy »

The -.75 correction for astigmatism lacks very important information, including the axis and other correction. If you post the entire Rx for your shooting eye AND it has the necessary correction for front sight focus, someone on the group can likely lead you to a dispensing optometrist.

Where are you located?

Tillman
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

tleddy wrote:The -.75 correction for astigmatism lacks very important information, including the axis and other correction. If you post the entire Rx for your shooting eye AND it has the necessary correction for front sight focus, someone on the group can likely lead you to a dispensing optometrist.

Where are you located?

Tillman
Here is the direct info off the prescription for my shooting eye...
Sphere: -.75 Cylinder:-1.50 Axis:100

I gave him the measurment from my eye to my front sight.
Your regular optometrist can get glass for a lens holder?
I'm in Helena, Montana.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

AJ008 wrote:
tleddy wrote:The -.75 correction for astigmatism lacks very important information, including the axis and other correction. If you post the entire Rx for your shooting eye AND it has the necessary correction for front sight focus, someone on the group can likely lead you to a dispensing optometrist.

Where are you located?

Tillman
Here is the direct info off the prescription for my shooting eye...
Sphere: -.75 Cylinder:-1.50 Axis:100

I gave him the measurment from my eye to my front sight.
Your regular optometrist can get glass for a lens holder?
I'm in Helena, Montana.
AJ, You say you worked with your eye doctor and he gave you this prescription, so I assume that this is the prescription you will use when shooting your pistol, and that it is not the prescription you use for normal distance vision. Next, you need to decide what frames you will use - Varga, Knobloch, Champion, MEC, etc. These manufacturers use different size lens holders 37mm or 42mm diameter. Or you can decide to use ordinary eyeglass frames with this lens prescription. Having made this decision, you can then go to almost any optometrist or optician and have a lens made with this prescription and of the correct size. The only other choices to be made are lens material (plastic or glass) and coating (abrasion resistant and/or antireflection for plastic lens).

My lenses are anti-reflection coated acrylic plastic. I would recommend supplying the optometrist/optician with the actual lens holder and frame you plan to use and to ask him to mount the lens in the holder. This way you will know that the lens axis has been properly aligned. This is critical for people with astigmatism.

I have had my lenses (37mm diameter plastic) made by both a local optometrist (who uses Zeiss lenses) and as well by Neil Steppe at International Shooters Supply.
tleddy

Lens providers

Post by tleddy »

Fred gives good counsel...

Neal Stepp of ISS has provided me with a number of lenses to shooting specifications. He knows the different shooting frame makers and will do an excellent job for you.

Just be very specific in giving him the information and be VERY sure that the Rx is correct!!!

Tillman
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

I've decided to go with Champion's Olympic. How do you choose what size lens to use just starting out? Just get the meduiam sized 37 or what ever it is to start with? I'll look into that guy and see what he has. I think my optometrist handles Ziess lenses, those would be SWEET!
AJ008

Post by AJ008 »

Got my glasses all set up! I CAN ACTUALLY SEE MY FRONT SIGHT NOW!!!