Rapid fire stage

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Reinhamre

Rapid fire stage

Post by Reinhamre »

There are two times when it pays well to have studied the rules.

1. If you have by mistake been shooting during the 7 sec period (this usually happens when a shooter is getting nervous) DO NOT shoot the next time the targets show up. You have already done that and must wait for next time the target shows up. If you do, there is a heavy penalty waiting.

2. If you by accident discharge a shot at the start after "LOAD" but before the target turn away or red light start, stop shooting and raise your free hand. You will loose 2 point but it is far better than nothing. You must not continue!
The start of a serie : 8.6.4.9.4

Kent
David Levene

Re: Rapid fire stage

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:1. If you have by mistake been shooting during the 7 sec period (this usually happens when a shooter is getting nervous) DO NOT shoot the next time the targets show up. You have already done that and must wait for next time the target shows up. If you do, there is a heavy penalty waiting.
It would be an extremely harsh, and in my opinion wrong, Jury member who penalises you in those circumstances.

Rule 8.6.4.9.3.1 clearly states that the 7 seconds is "The time between each appearance....". No penalty should be applied under 8.6.6.2.2.1.1 as that is for firing "more than one shot at one appearance of the target in a Rapid Fire Series".

You would be well advised however not to fire a shot in the appearance after the "mistake"; give yourself time to get your brain back in gear.

Don't be tempted to quickly load an extra round, that is when the penalties start adding up.

Your point about firing a shot after "Load" but before the series starts is well made. If you treat it properly, like a malfunction, it only costs you 2 points.

Any view Spencer?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

[quote="David Levene" It would be an extremely harsh, and in my opinion wrong, Jury member who penalises you in those circumstances.

Rule 8.6.4.9.3.1 clearly states that the 7 seconds is "The time between each appearance....". No penalty should be applied under 8.6.6.2.2.1.1 as that is for firing "more than one shot at one appearance of the target in a Rapid Fire Series".[/quote]

I have noticed the 8.6.4.9.3.1 and will use it next time it occurs during a match. One need to have an argument ready when this happens, I know that the rules are not ALWAYS understood by the range officer. One had better study them before and know what to expect.

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:I know that the rules are not ALWAYS understood by the range officer. One had better study them before and know what to expect.
Rule 8.1.2 ;-)
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

Reinhamre wrote:
2. If you by accident discharge a shot at the start after "LOAD" but before the target turn away or red light start, stop shooting and raise your free hand. You will loose 2 point but it is far better than nothing. You must not continue!

Kent
IMHO this is the best option. If you continue the series i.e. with 4 shots, the first shot will be scored a zero. Plus 2 pt. penalty for the accidental shot.
Spencer will correct us all on this.
May all your shots be "10's"
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

The difficult part here is the short time span. When you draw attention to yourself by shooting prematurely like this you must not hesitate about what to do. That is the reason why I brought this to your attention.

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:When you draw attention to yourself by shooting prematurely like this you must not hesitate about what to do.
Especially as you will immediately have the undivided attention of every Range Officer and Jury Member within 50m.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

xtreme wrote:
Reinhamre wrote:

Kent
IMHO this is the best option. If you continue the series i.e. with 4 shots, the first shot will be scored a zero. Plus 2 pt. penalty for the accidental shot.
Spencer will correct us all on this.
er... um...
Reinhamre's original post has two premises

Shot between facings (i.e. after series has commenced, all shots after this count) - unless there was some other infringement or irregularity there would be no penalty.

Shot after 'LOAD', but before series commences (8.6.4.9.4 red light / 'ATTENTION') - the shooter must not continue (8.6.6.2.3.1).
I would love to be a fly on the wall for the Jury resolution if a shooter continued in contravention of 8.6.6.2.3.1, but would expect 8.6.6.2.2.1.1 would require 8 points penalty.

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:Shot after 'LOAD', but before series commences (8.6.4.9.4 red light / 'ATTENTION') - the shooter must not continue (8.6.6.2.3.1).
I would love to be a fly on the wall for the Jury resolution if a shooter continued in contravention of 8.6.6.2.3.1, but would expect 8.6.6.2.2.1.1 would require 8 points penalty.
Wouldn't there also be the 2 point penalty under 8.6.6.2.3.1 for the early shot (but can I become a fly on the wall with you).
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Spencer wrote:er... um...
Reinhamre's original post has two premises

Shot between facings (i.e. after series has commenced, all shots after this count) - unless there was some other infringement or irregularity there would be no penalty.

Shot after 'LOAD', but before series commences (8.6.4.9.4 red light / 'ATTENTION') - the shooter must not continue (8.6.6.2.3.1).

Spencer
...he must not continue... OK but this is only if he wants to claim a reshoot.
If he continues he can skip the first show of target as he already has shot one and make 4 x10 = 40 points and no reduction will be made. The last part of 2.6.6.2.3.1"If this procedure is not followed and the shooter continues the original series, the accidentally fired shot will be scored as a miss (zero)."

IF he on the other hand likes to get 48 points he MUST raise his hand BEFORE the targets show or green light goes on. Then he will be granted a new shooting and can eventually get 5x10 and a penalty of 2 points =48.

Here I have a question, has he then used his share of malfunction? One per event?

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:Here I have a question, has he then used his share of malfunction? One per event?
No, he has not claimed a malfunction.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Reinhamre wrote:"If this procedure is not followed and the shooter continues the original series, the accidentally fired shot will be scored as a miss (zero)."
Reinhamre is correct in this - it is so long since I have seen anybody continue that I had discounted this possibility (though it is not all that long since I saw a shooter fire an accidental shot after load).

Although it is many years since I made this particular 'oops' (touch wood), I can still remember the embarassment. I needed that cooling-down period while the rest of the line fired and the series was scored to get back some composure...

Spencer