Sport Pistol Rules Help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jtg

Sport Pistol Rules Help

Post by jtg »

I have an jr athlete that has been invited to the Olympic Center to shoot the Sport Pistol event. I am a bullseye shooter and coach her in AP but when i went to check the rules for the sport pistol i was a little confused.
The rules states a 6" barrel, 8.6" sight radius, .22LR, 2.2lbs trigger pull, with open sights but then it also that NRA Conventional rule 3.4 will be allowed in a santioned event as long as it has open sights.

So the NRA requirements are a barrel length of 10" and a 2lbs trigger pull.

If I read this correctly then an NRA Conventional pistol is ok for the sport pistol event?
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I will stand corrected but as I understand (unless there are some local rules applying in USA) that sports pistol is shot with a standard pistol
ie 150mm barrel, 1000g trigger pull.
I believe the same .22 LR pistol with non-ported barrel is now used for standard pistol, sports pistol and rapidfire.
I have never seen a 250mm barrel used but then we do not shoot bullseye here and so such a pistol would be unusual in Oz.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The rules from the ISSF are:

1400g pistol weight
1000g trigger weight
153mm barrel length
220 mm sight radius
must fit in a box 300mmx150mmx50mm
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

The maority of the NRA bullseye 22 pistol will qualify as a "standard pistol" in International pistol. The Standard pistol is used for rapid fire, standard pistol and womens sport pistol.

But, there are some adjustments.

For example, the anatomical grips allowed in NRA competiton allow some up swing or slight wrapping of the palm rest, not legal in international. Also, the thickness of the grip is limited by the "box" refered to in the post by Richard H. The stock grips that come with the old HIgh Standard and Smith & Wesson 41 are no porblem. Some aftermarket grips are wider thanthe 50mm.

The short barrel model 41 is generally acceptable (check trigger wieght etc) but the long barrel is not. Most High Standards except the long barrel would be about the same, long barrels bad for international, short barrles good. Remember, barrel length includes the chamber!

Most Pardinis, Benillis, IZH-35, Morinis, etc were designed for international competition and will meet the requirements, check the trigger weight and grips!

I am not as familiar with all the variations of Rugers and Brownings. Most Browning Buckmarks loook like the barrels are long but I have never measured any. I should think the short barrel Rugers are OK.

No muzzle breaks, compensators, ported barrels!

A few years back at teh nationals, I had to take a rasp to a set of grips to get the grips to fit the box! It was the overall length of the grips, pistol and barrel that would not quite fit!

Also, just a detail, but the wiehgt set for checking the trigger weights is a little different for international. The international weight set uses a knife edge so the weights will not roll on the trigger when the weight is lifted off the table. Nra shows a roller! Just a slight difference.

Sounds like a lot, but it is realy quite simple.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Can I suggest you look at rules 8.16.0 and 8.17.0 in the ISSF Pistol Rules
jtg

Rules

Post by jtg »

Thanks all for the help. I called the USAS Center. They use the ISSF rules and not the NRA International rules so it is as Richard wrote.
Thanks again.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

That is something that I did not know - that the NRA International Pistol Rules are different from the USAS/ISSF International Pistol Rules. I had always assumed that they were the same.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

Does the Ruger Mk II stainless with the bull barrel fit in the box?
My Mark II with bull barrel measure under 6". My Mark II with a taper barrel measure 6 3/4 inch.

Ray
Quest1

Rules

Post by Quest1 »

The one thing they taught in the coaching classes is that none of the rules are exactly the same. Where the rules do vary the differences maybe very slight to major differences depending on the area of interest.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Ray: if the barrel measures greater than 6", it does not meet the ISSF or USAS rules for standard pistol, rapid fire pistol or women's sport pistol.

The box is a separate test or requirement. The bull barrel may meet the box requirement. So might the tapered barrel. But over 6" is a problem.

USAS rules are on-line for download.