which FP in Olympics?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fred

Post by Fred »

toznerd wrote: Does anyone have ANY anecdotal evidence of a Morini failing?

Several years ago, the solenoid plunger in my Morini broke in two, incapacitating the gun. While parts of the Morini fire control system are electronic, it is overall an electro-mechanical system, and just as liable to breakage as a purely mechanical system.
toznerd wrote: Morini has better sights;.....they are square and level when you buy them!
My Morini sights are square and level, but the rear gap is too shallow, and cannot be adjusted. After I did some work on them, my TOZ sights give a much better sight picture.

They're both good guns.

FredB
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . but Fred you of course do recognize that there are various elements of the system(s) that contribute to reliability . . . ?

Steve
me

Post by me »

Tycho wrote:Besides, the CM84E has a pretty rare option for a FP - it's available with a two-stage trigger
The Aemmerli/SAM FP10 was always offered with at two stage trigger. Is an integrated part of the FP10 trigger. I have never ued that option, btw...
me

reduced weight of fp?

Post by me »

Airknight wrote: .
Morini weighs 1.24 kg while Hammerli & Pardini weigh 1.1 kg each.
Will we see a new, less heavy, Morini FP in the near future? The M84 is considered a bit too heavy for less "massive" shooters.
(Heard it through the grape wine...)
RobStubbs

Re: reduced weight of fp?

Post by RobStubbs »

me wrote:
Airknight wrote: .
Morini weighs 1.24 kg while Hammerli & Pardini weigh 1.1 kg each.
Will we see a new, less heavy, Morini FP in the near future? The M84 is considered a bit too heavy for less "massive" shooters.
(Heard it through the grape wine...)
I thought there already was a lighter model available (?)

Rob.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Not officially, but in Italy, there have been sightings of 84E's with carbon enclosed barrels and smaller electronics...
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

The latest printed Gehmann catalog shows an 84E light that is listed as 100 grams lighter. It looks like some of the steel around the action and trigger group has been replaced by aluminum, and the sight block has been shaved a little bit on the sides. A little bird told me that they have also started to use Feinwerkbau sourced barrels, instead of Lothar Walther barrels, but I do not believe that they are a lighter profile. Scott or Francesco should be able verify this.

toznerd
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Hm, another case of internet-not-up-to-date. Didn't know the specifics of the frame mods, but I'm quite positive about the carbon barrels having been sighted - so perhaps they are developing in two directions at the same time. Better than no direction at all, anyway...
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

If you want to see a really nice customized 84E, go to French shooter Walter Lapeyre's website and look at the photos at the bottom of this page:

http://www.walterlapeyre.fr/eng/photo.php

PacNor barrel, complete with fluting, and matching custom fluted sight block!
FredM

Post by FredM »

Beautiful gun, very nice website.
Faisal Yamin

Post by Faisal Yamin »

toznerd wrote:If you want to see a really nice customized 84E, go to French shooter Walter Lapeyre's website and look at the photos at the bottom of this page:

http://www.walterlapeyre.fr/eng/photo.php

Where do I get one? :)
me.

Reduce the weight of that too heavy M84 !

Post by me. »

toznerd wrote:If you want to see a really nice customized 84E, ---

All combined, efforts to reduse the weight of the M84, i believe?

I have been informed Morini at present in fact offer a (slightly) leighter M84. Less than 100 grams are shaved off the sight blocks.

But, what I heared "through the grape wine", was roumors of a (radically) "new" Morini FP (at the drawing boards), featuring a lighter action, lighter barrel, lighter sight bases, compensator etc.
Not customized by an aftermarket nisché shop, but made by the Morini factory itself.
I may have misunderstood some, though.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

On the other hand, he put some weight back on with those stabilizers. Why don't you ask him what the design idea was, and who built it? Most top shooters I know are really nice guys, and usually share their ideas, so if you want it, try to get it instead of yammering away here...
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

"All combined, efforts to reduse the weight of the M84, i believe?

I have been informed Morini at present in fact offer a (slightly) leighter M84. Less than 100 grams are shaved off the sight blocks.

But, what I heared "through the grape wine", was roumors of a (radically) "new" Morini FP (at the drawing boards), featuring a lighter action, lighter barrel, lighter sight bases, compensator etc.
Not customized by an aftermarket nisché shop, but made by the Morini factory itself.
I may have misunderstood some, though."

Yes, the 84E light (less 100 grams) is in the Gehmann catalog (uncolored aluminum sight block and action parts.) And I guess there are rumours and even sightings of a Morini prototype free pistol with a high-speed, carbon-wrapped barrel and other aluminum alloy parts. Could we be looking at a sub-1050 gram free pistol? Alright, let's see some pictures.

toznerd
Chris

Post by Chris »

I wonder if I were to get a morini if I were able to reproduce the same grip angle I have on my Toz. I had to cut into the frame a little to get a 40 deg angle on the grip. From looking at one years ago I think the electronics were in the way. This has kept me away from them and I have to sell some other guns to buy a 3rd FP which will be hard to justify. I wonder if the mech trigger has the option to remove wood.
me

Post by me »

toznerd wrote: - And I guess there are rumours and even sightings of a Morini prototype free pistol with a high-speed, carbon-wrapped barrel and other aluminum alloy parts. Could we be looking at a sub-1050 gram free pistol?
toznerd -
Could you explain how this high-speed barrel differs from other FP barrels?
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

It's faster when you throw it down range in a fit of utter disgust,......because its so much lighter than the steel barrel lighter.

"High-speed" is an expression, common in North America, that means possessing the best attributes or employing the latest technology. There is nothing about it that contributes to, directly or indirectly, the velocity of the projectile. In this case, it is simply lighter, and perhaps gives the shooter more balance options.

Sorry about the confusion.

toznerd
Jacktheshootist

New Steyr FP?

Post by Jacktheshootist »

jipe wrote: Another question: can somebody give me some feedback about the strange looking Steyr FP ? I saw one for sale in mint condition at a very low price.
The long ago discontinued Steyr "Freie Pistole" never got very popular. A massive, unduly, unusual design.

After the last IWA, it was commented someone by the Steyr stand had shown a scematic drawing of a new Steyr freepistol in the works. Steyr is enjoying a great success at the AP scene, and may deside to market a new FP. The new FP would follow the same trend as the Steyr APs; less weight.
No release scedule refered.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

They also built a 50m range in their new factory. Considering they don't make anything to shoot at 50m this too could be an indication of forward thinking.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Maybe news will be published after/during olympics time!

IMHO in the world of free pistol now there are two subject:
-morini: good for trigger, reliability, accuracy and sight.
-toz: good for trigger, reliability, accuracy, and i like sight; is like morini but half price.

Maybe toz is better for balance feeling, but top shooters were going towards Morini, also with various muzzle devices, and also if feels very nose heavy. Maybe there is a contrast between feeling and scoring.

If we can argue about a perfect free pistol we can ask for, imho:
-morini trigger and reliability and accuracy.
-steyr sights.
-long sight line, front sight away like morini.
-less nose heavy than morini, a bit more than toz.
-factory muzzle compensator for less recoil jump, tested to assure accuracy and designed to fit the pistol box without dismantling it. "lol"

I'm worring about trigger part, in lp10 light sear engagement not seems to be best design. Obviously imho.

Best regards,
LukeP

P.S. Little story: morini cm80, modified with pardini sights (classic front and rear sight assembly). Better trigger i ever felt. Trigger redesigned from Morini Cesare with a gentleman advice, after first few pieces because original was crappy one. Improved trigger version, was tested by an espanol book, and resulted be the fatest trigger between the free pistol of that time.
Very light, nice balance in my hand and a pleasure to shoot, great accuracy.
Don't ask gentleman to sell it... ;(