LP 10 Grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjgun

LP 10 Grips

Post by jjgun »

Got an LP 10 a little while ago and luv the gun. However, my elbow can't take the stress of the steep grip angle any more. I've adjusted the grips as much as it will allow to get a more upright angle (going in the direction towards a 1911), but it is still too hard on my elbow. Does anyone know of any other grips for it with a more upright angle? Or does anyone have any suggestions for modifying the stock grips? My scores are starting to suffer so I need to do something other than Tommy John surgery.
JJ
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

When you say say 'as much as it will allow', does that mean you have just unscrewed the adjustment screws? You could try longer screws or some shims to further raise the back.
jjgun

Post by jjgun »

I did shim it a bit, Fred, but probably didn't go further than backing the screws out to the max. Didn't seem to have a very good seat once you started going too far. Maybe wedge-shaped shims would work better. I'll have to see if that gets me far enough. Thanks...........JJ
Chris

Post by Chris »

When I was trying to get my angle to go as far as I could i got some longer screws. since you are going to have them really long you can get any type of head you can find. Obviously the threads have to fit.

I had to modify my grip so the back of it did not hit my sights as the angle of the grip increased.
RobStubbs

Re: LP 10 Grips

Post by RobStubbs »

jjgun wrote:Got an LP 10 a little while ago and luv the gun. However, my elbow can't take the stress of the steep grip angle any more. I've adjusted the grips as much as it will allow to get a more upright angle (going in the direction towards a 1911), but it is still too hard on my elbow. Does anyone know of any other grips for it with a more upright angle? Or does anyone have any suggestions for modifying the stock grips? My scores are starting to suffer so I need to do something other than Tommy John surgery.
JJ
You have two options - either modify your existing grip, or get it modified for you, or get a custom grip made for you. I have had the latter done for all my pistol grips, including the LP10, and that works out fine. I had mine custom made by rink with a 20 degree angle, but I'm sure other grip makers could do the same job.

Rob.
jjgun

Post by jjgun »

Chris, Rob,

Thanks for the replies. I measured the angle of my Mod 41 grip and it was roughly 15 degrees(from perpendicular to barrel). With adjusting the LP 10, I had it's grips to approximately 25 degrees. I'll tell you, when it comes to grips, 10 degrees is a lot!

Chris - Do you happen to remember what thread the screws are?

Rob - Are custom grips significantly more expensive, than say, off-the-shelf Rink grips?

Again, thanks to all.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I do not remember. I did this about 9 years ago. What I did was take it to a local hardware store that I know has a good selection of metric fasteners and found the same thread size and pitch.

you might get a 2 or 3 different lengths. this way you have enough thread engaugement and it sticks out far enough. I have not had my grip off for several years but seem to remember the screw on mine sticks out about 6-7mm.

I am curious not what grip angle I do have...I will have to measure.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

jjgun wrote: Rob - Are custom grips significantly more expensive, than say, off-the-shelf Rink grips?

Again, thanks to all.
They are a fair bit more expensive, but if you really need that angular correction, and can't get a skilled grip technician, then that's the only option. I think the custom job cost me about 30 or 40% extra, but with one of them I left it unfinished (stippled and stained etc) which saved me 15 - 20 Euros.

Rob.
jjgun

Post by jjgun »

Screws were 3 mm. Went to the local hobby store (good place to get small metric screws and bolts) and got some 3 mm Allen bolts. Head thickness on the Allen bolts is between 2.5 mm and 3 mm so they are great for the back two adjusting screws as you can visually tell that you have the minimum 2.5 mm clearance stated in the manual. I got longer bolts and cut them so I had full thread engagement at the spacing distance I wanted.