which FP in Olympics?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Faisal Yamin

which FP in Olympics?

Post by Faisal Yamin »

which Free Pistols are being used in Olympics say in the last 10years? and are electronic triggers popular?
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I'd say mostly Toz and CM84E, and perhaps some FP10's.
Airknight

Post by Airknight »

Basically, there are three leading brands which are popular in the 50m (Free) Pistol Discipline. These are Hammerli, Morini and Pardini. Steyr and Russian Toz also produce world class free pistols. Each of the three former brands have had a share in Olympic and other world shooting titles. In the last three Olympics, Hammerli's FP10 & FP20, Morini's 84E and Pardini's K50 & K22 have been popular. Hammerli has recently come out with their latest FP60. Of the three brands, Morini CM84E has an electronic-only trigger while the others are mechanical/electrical options. A friend of mine uses Morini 84E and I have tried it out on the range. The trigger is set at a feather-touch 5 gms. While I am no techno-wiz, my reservation lies in the possibility of the electronic trigger going bad and its subsequent repairs. Most gunsmiths can handle mechanical trigger repairs or replacements, but electronic ones are different gizmos altogether and may need factory visits. Maybe experts can say more on this.

My personal preference is for the Hammerli FP60 as it looks very elegant compared to the Morini or Pardini, though this has little to do with performance. I think all three are otherwise great pistols. Morini weighs 1.24 kg while Hammerli & Pardini weigh 1.1 kg each. Hammerli FP60 has the longest barrel at 320mm while Pardini K22 has 300mm and Morini CM84E has a 290mm one. Hammerli FP60 has the longest sight radius (375-430mm) of the three.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

FP20?!

Hmm.. I've actually never seen a Pardini FP in the world cup, are you sure they are that common? Here in Sweden people shoot with basicly anything from Pfuff and very old Hammerli to Morini, Toz, Steyr, newer Hammerli and just about anything in between. But I only know one person who shoots a Pardini. Most common is Hammerli and Toz, but those who replace older FP's often buy Morini here.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Oh, on a sidenote. The FP60 with the balance weights from a FP10 makes a very stable and nice gun! ;)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

IIRC, the last set of stats from Our Host was that the finals were split between Morini and Toz. 5-3, I seem to recall.
GOVTMODEL

Re: which FP in Olympics?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Faisal Yamin wrote:which Free Pistols are being used in Olympics say in the last 10years? and are electronic triggers popular?
The Mighty TOZ was popular for many years, but has been out of production for around ten years.

In the last World Cup of 2007, six of eight finalists were shooting Morini, one a TOZ, and I couldn't see that last one.

I watch ISSF TV regularly and can't recall ever seeing a Pardini Free Pistol in a WC Final.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . those darned electronic triggers are very unreliable . . . my CM84E is constantly forgetting to put new batteries in itself once a year or so . . . and that finicky trigger just refuses to require adjustment, forcing me to forget all about it . . . and, since cleaning and maintenance are so much easier and simpler, I have more time to spend actually shooting, which is such a bother!

Steve
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Mellberg wrote:Oh, on a sidenote. The FP60 with the balance weights from a FP10 makes a very stable and nice gun! ;)
These balance weights are optional for FP60 in blue, but it is possible to use a pair from FP10. I bought a pair but shoot without them, for now.

Kent
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

Okay, as the handle reveals, I am a huge TOZ-35 fan. But, I would be the first to admit that they are not a perfect platform (but which is?)

As far as repairing a set trigger on a TOZ goes, I would say there are maybe a handful in the U.S. that I woud trust, besides myself. And yes, they can wear, and stop functioning properly to the point of needing repair. For cleaning; it's a dead heat. They are both single-shot free pistols. Run a few damp and then dry patches through it, a light brushing of the chamber, and voila! Really, the same care needs to taken for both to ensure that you don't slop solvent down into the "fluffy" bits, whether they are steel, or copper-clad fiberglass and resin. The Morini has less action/trigger parts, so less likely to wear and fail. Does anyone have ANY anecdotal evidence of a Morini failing? No doubt, they are a mechanical device that can fail. I haven't seen or heard of any, but would like to hear of any weak points (more on why later.) They use a fairly simple and robust circuit that is well potted. As for the TOZ, I know of 2 occasions where I witnessed shooters have to make repairs during U.S. Nationals in the mid-nineties.

I would have to give a small nod to the TOZ' loading lever that actuates the falling block and cocks the firing pin from both sides, and not just one, like the Morini- a very minor difference that, when handle properly, will give many thousands of cycles before requiring any attention.

Morini has better sights;.....they are square and level when you buy them!

I would say buy and shoot the one that fits or that you can afford. They are both suited for any level of competition. In fact, I have to make a horrible confession;....despite my superb relationship with my TOZs (3@), I am looking for a CM84E on which to spend my tax return (trying to get the trigger shoe on the optimal position for my stumpy index finger with a TOZ has always been a challenge.) Anyone have a CM84E for sale?

toznerd (soon maybe Mori-nerd?)
Faisal Yamin

Post by Faisal Yamin »

Thanks guys for the quick responses, I plan on getting an FP in about 6 months so I am starting my research. I will try to try out some if I can till then.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Besides, the CM84E has a pretty rare option for a FP - it's available with a two-stage trigger, which gives RF/CF shooters like me a chance to enjoy shooting it from time to time, without despairing over that 80gr... ;-)

Post by Guest »

Tycho wrote:Besides, the CM84E has a pretty rare option for a FP - it's available with a two-stage trigger,
?????

How/where is this two stage trigger available? I don't see any evidence of it on their website or anywhere else. I'd like to learn more about it.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

It's available in Sweden. Skanaker uses it. Shot 553+554 on the swedish championships last summer. I'd like to try it but it's rather expensive. (like $450)
shadow

Toznerd

Post by shadow »

Oh, Toznerd please reveal your true identity so we know who we are talking to!
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I got the trigger from Francesco - so if you're interested, why not ask them directly, websites are chronically unreliable south of the alps...
jipe

Post by jipe »

Tycho wrote:websites are chronically unreliable south of the alps...
I think that it is not only south of the alps, its weapon manufacturers that are not so good at making up to date websites: while for other products, manufacturers announce new things long before they are available, the Steyr ball bearing trigger was available in shops several months before it appeared on their website.

Another question: can somebody give me some feedback about the strange looking Steyr FP ? I saw one for sale in mint condition at a very low price.
David Levene

Re: Toznerd

Post by David Levene »

shadow wrote:Oh, Toznerd please reveal your true identity so we know who we are talking to!
Thanks for the laugh "Shadow".
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

shadow wrote:
Oh, Toznerd please reveal your true identity so we know who we are talking to!

Thanks for the laugh "Shadow".

......Yeah, thanks for the laugh,......at the expense of my fragile emotions! Besides, if I take off my cape, my "fluffy bits" might be exposed!

a great sport,

toznerd
Faisal Yamin

Post by Faisal Yamin »

What would be the advantage in 2 stage trigger? I one handed conventional pistol competition I use a two stage so I can have a lighter second stage or have a shorter break etc, but since an electronic trigger which is extremely light would be enough for me, I would like single squeeze with no stop and go. Please comment.