Practice target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pauln

Practice target

Post by pauln »

Thinking about making up some sort of a practice target, as the standard cardboard soon gets so chewed up it's hard to tell were you are hitting.

Thought maybe a nine ring sized metal dingier that I could hang behind the standard target. Would probably cut the nine ring out of the target so I could position it correctly

Anybody done something similar or got a better idea?

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Paul
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I just put up a new target????
pauln

Post by pauln »

Yeah but I'm a bit tight and targets are quite expensive in my part of the world.
Not having the luxury of a spotting scope it soon gets hard to see where I've hit.
I recon a nice ding would make it a lot easier and be quite satisfying
top end

Post by top end »

You can buy replaceable (stick on) target centres, which are much cheaper than buying the whole target. Available in Australia. If interested, I'll give you some details.
pauln

Post by pauln »

top end wrote:You can buy replaceable (stick on) target centres, which are much cheaper than buying the whole target. Available in Australia. If interested, I'll give you some details.
That's a good idea, thanks would appreciate details
pauln

Post by pauln »

double post
top end

Post by top end »

pauln - Metro Targets in Brisbane (dont have details handy) or these two might do them as well
Kevin Greig : thegreig@bigpond.net.au
C&R Firearms : c_rfirearms@hotmail.com
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I print out black circles on my printer, several to a sheet, and use them to replace the center. If I'm having an issue with focusing at the target, I use some fuzzy ones I printed up. I made the fuzzy ones by softening the edges using a graphics editor.

As to the dinger idea, I prefer a swinging target the size of the ten ring, but have also used the chicken of a Silhouette swinger set.

Another alternate for the original targets might be to compare the cost of a roll vs. individual, if your target is available in roll form. Here in the states, I tag my target orders to a larger (club) order from a target company that gives discounts for the larger quantities.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) CompetitionThings
pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks Guys
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

If you are really training then for my $0.02 the training should have some purpose.

You may like to try a couple of these targets

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... ng_Targets

they are down loadable and printable and copy right free :)

Julian
pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks Julian, some interesting looking targets there
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

On the subject of traning targets can any one tell me how this one should be used

Julian
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

JulianY wrote:On the subject of traning targets can any one tell me how this one should be used

Julian
I use a variation of this target: the black horizontal bar is 60 mm wide (diameter of the 7 ring on an AP target) and centered on a standard AP target or blank piece of cardboard. It is sort of halfway between shooting at a blank card and shooting at a standard bull. I find it a useful training tool. The black bar is not as distracting as a bull, but I can train for a proper sub 6 hold. The shots fall into the black and are not visible even after 20-30 shots. I can often get smaller groups on this target than I can on a standard bull. If group size or % inside the nine ring is of interest, I can place the black bar over a standard target, then when I am done, remove the bar and see where the holes are in the target.
derekm

Post by derekm »

There was a good tip on here a few months ago.
Take a standard target and depending on what your normal hold is, cut out the corresponding ring. Only the shots outside your regular hold will show; those inside the hole are OK. As your hold improves, cut out a higher ring. One card can last for 30 or 40 shots and you can still see the bad ones.
When you get to the ten ring, you've pretty much arrived!
pauln

Post by pauln »

derekm wrote:There was a good tip on here a few months ago.
Take a standard target and depending on what your normal hold is, cut out the corresponding ring. Only the shots outside your regular hold will show; those inside the hole are OK. As your hold improves, cut out a higher ring. One card can last for 30 or 40 shots and you can still see the bad ones.
Good idea thanks
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

pauln wrote:
derekm wrote:There was a good tip on here a few months ago.
Good idea thanks
Sorry to be contrary, but I hold a counter-view:

This is a great way to highlight all your failures. There they are for you to focus on and think about, when you should be thinking about the ones that hit where you want them - the ones that now make no lasting impression...

It might be easier to cut out the middle rather than the outside, but I think it's better to highlight success and forget about failures.

All comments welcome...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) CompetitionThings
Fred.Mannis

Bad Karma

Post by Fred.Mannis »

Ed,
I agree with your comments. I have tried the 'cut out the middle' approach and find, as you suggest, that I tend to remember the holes (bad shots).

Better to think/feel 'that was a good shot', take a quick peek in the scope and confirm 'yes that was a good shot'.

Fred
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ed Hall wrote:It might be easier to cut out the middle rather than the outside, but I think it's better to highlight success and forget about failures.

All comments welcome...
The easiest way out of this is to convert the failures to successes.

If the shooter has to call his/her shots before seeing the hole, and try to diagnose why, then there is something to be learned from a correctly called bad shot.
2650 Plus

Targets

Post by 2650 Plus »

Right on Ed. We strive to shoot good shots and nines dont cut it. Never reinforce failure. A long time ago we were being taught to annalize our bad shots and apply positive corrections. Some of us figured out that we should be annalizing the good shots and repeating them. Thats how 2650's starting being shot and medals began resulting in international shooting. Be positive in all the things that result in success and eliminate all negative elements in your shooting. Joe Benner was the first shooter I ever heard that stressed the importance of a totally positive approach to shot delivery . He told me personally that he was first introduced to this concept by an olympic weight lifter. [ the gold medalist that weighed about five hundred pounds from one of the southern states and I can't rember his name] Good Shooting Bill horton
pauln

Post by pauln »

So my original idea with a satisfying moral building ding rewording a good shot may have some merit.