which pellet good for LP10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sagara

which pellet good for LP10

Post by sagara »

Dear friends,
Could you please advise me which pellet is good for a LP10 for competition & training.

Thanks
sagara
bigred

Post by bigred »

Unless you're shooting 570+/600, you will not notice the difference between any of the good brands of pellets such as RWS, H&N etc. Stay away from the cheap stuff as you can actually see the inconsistencies in manufacture when looking at the pellets side by side
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I shoot more at 10 to 55yds. At 11yds, it probably does not make much difference, but at 55yds the pellet weight is very important. I weigh my pellets and sort them into .05grain groups. I don't care what the actual weights are, just that the groups are almost identical. I suspect that for the really anal 10M shooters, this approach would be best, too, although weight will have little effect at this short range.

The other advantage of sorting is that one can discard the really bad pellets (way out of weight range, dented, or otherwise imperfect).

Best,

Joe
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Don't overlook Vogel pellets which are manufactured and sold by our host.

More information on pellets/weight here: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As Sagara does not live in the US I doubt he'd wantto pay to have lead shipped to where he lives.

Sagara although I don't agree with giving a score where testing pellets becomes worth while, I do agree don't waste your time, esepecially for pistol, just buy good qaulity pellets and be done with it ie H&H, RWS, JSB, Vogel. If you do have the time and access to a large variety of pellets, the best way to find the best pellet is through testing and when you find one that groups well for your pistol buy all that you can of that lot. What might group best in yours may not group as good in someone else's pistol.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

The cost of air pistol ammunition, is not something you should consider. it's basically cheep small differences do count.

There is no issf air event using an lp10 a distance greater that 10M so I will stick to discussing 10 m

The LP 10 performs better using heavier ammunition, though slower in flight ( newton) it is more stable.

With the gun in a vice, the variance can be as much as a pellet in width using non suitable ammo. but with with the right ammo and properly tuned

10 rounds can be put through the same hole! even more a pellet pushed through th hole to its waist will fail to fall through , even with a good shake!

the problem is that this level of testing needs a good facility. an you are not just testing brands but batch numbers.

choose on of R10, JSB , HN in rifle weight, if you like it stick to it .

BTW Some rifle shooter are not shooting pistol pellets because the pellet being lighter spends less time in the barrel !

Julian
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

JulianY wrote: The LP 10 performs better using heavier ammunition, though slower in flight ( newton) it is more stable.

With the gun in a vice, the variance can be as much as a pellet in width using non suitable ammo. but with with the right ammo and properly tuned
If you use a vice it does not make a difference if the bullet stays in the barrel long time but it sure does when you shoot in real life.
Is it not better to take a less accurate bullet that travels fast and leave the dangerous barrel before you interfere with its flight?

Kent
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Agree with you Kent, grouping out of a vice is only one element, unfortunately we all don't hold like a vice.

The heavier projectile makes a much bigger difference outdoors and at greater distances.

I was at RWS and in some pistols the new light R10's group the same or better than the heavies. Plus they give the added benefit of leaving the pistol faster (for the same amount of air discharged) and according to the laws of physics becaus ethe force required to move them is less the equal and opposite force is alos less.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

if you are using match pellets from H&N, RWS or Vogel I would not worry about pellet testing. I don't care what headsize, or what lot #, if you are shooting out of an air pistol, the group will still be well within the 10 ring. If its not, you have something serious wrong with the gun.
if you are shooting 565+ in AP, you might , might, but migh not, find it beneficial to test pellets and then thats only useful for your finals score.

Barrel time? In a pistol? are you kidding me? If you have that rapid a movement that barrel time effects the shot your hold ain't good enough to stay inside the black ring anyway. You need to be working on something besides buying light pellets.

In Air Rifle size and lot # does count but I think barrel time in Air rifle is also bogus.
sportshooter

Post by sportshooter »

I have been testing several brands of pellets in Steyr LP10. I have tested them both in a vice and in usual shooting.

RWS R10 rifle, HN Finale match pistol, HN finale match rifle and JSB match rifle were all good enough. And "good enough" for me is that they all the time with no doubt holds the innercircle of the ten in a vice. And in addition the more important fact that I perform well with the combination of my gun and pellets. I have (in my good days) been shooting 580+ with all of them.

My idea is that it´s a much better investment of time, to practice good trigger control and good alignment everyday, than worry about ammo and the gun. Work on the basics and keep it simple!
sagara

which pellet good

Post by sagara »

Thanks for all the comments..
I usually use .49 or .50 mg pellets.
but if I use .53mg. what would be the effect..
is it not good for the barrol.
rgds
Sagara
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Finally I tested my LP10 in a vice.
It is a huge difference when you KNOW how it shoots.
There seems to be a good m/s that results in a 8 mm hole (10 shoot group) on the target and another even better m/s a half turn clockwise of the screw at the back.
The later is very air consuming so I vent back to the lower speed.
(Is this not typical from reloading, a low speed is good and then it will spread up and then tighten up again at a near max load?)
4,50 were slightly better then 4,49. I also tested expensive R10 0,53g/8,2gr in 4,50, separately packed one by one. NO they did not do well in my gun, that saved me money :-)
Do try to use a vice to see if the gun performs OK, and then relax and shoot.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

How did pistol perform from factory settings? Good groups? I think probably like test card, if they test in this manner?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

I think the factory target is a 5 shot group and yes then it is the same.
I tested around 30 x 10 shot with different settings and the high speed was tight in a vice but as I mentioned it was air consuming and I do not think it does perform better when shooting in real life

In the low setting the air was on the yellow a good bit and then it started to hit the target in a straight vertical line 4,5 mm wide, one below the other
All the time it was one single hole in target.

Kent