Benelli MP-95/MP-90 reviews?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RyanB

Benelli MP-95/MP-90 reviews?

Post by RyanB »

I'm looking into purchasing a standard pistol and was looking at the Benelli's, either the MP-95 with a new grip or just ponying up the cash and getting a MP-90. What I can't find is really any reviews on this gun. Anyone have experience with these or can point me in the correct direction? Particularity the reliability and ammo preferences of them.

Thanks

Ryan
Fred Mannis

Re: Benelli MP-95/MP-90 reviews?

Post by Fred Mannis »

RyanB wrote:I'm looking into purchasing a standard pistol and was looking at the Benelli's, either the MP-95 with a new grip or just ponying up the cash and getting a MP-90. What I can't find is really any reviews on this gun. Anyone have experience with these or can point me in the correct direction? Particularity the reliability and ammo preferences of them.

Thanks

Ryan
Do a search in this forum for Benelli MP and you will find three pages of thread topics. Haven't looked but there must be some discussion there about performance, issues, etc
MSC

Post by MSC »

I think the 95 is an excellent value, especially in the used market, where they can occasionally be found for $500-$550. I found such a gun, added a Rink grip and red dot, and had a really nice-shooting bullseye rig. (Just an FYI - you can get a $5 grip spacer from the model 90 to increase reach to the trigger if you have long fingers).
Mine digested every brand of std velocity ammo I tried. Those it liked shot a ragged single hole, rested at 50ft. Those it didn't could still be covered by a quarter (tried 12-15 brands, nothing too pricey). Field stripping required dot removal, but you can do a less-detailed (and plenty adequate) cleaning without breaking it down.
Is the 90 worth the premium over the 95??? I tried a 90, but the grip and trigger on this example weren't set up to fit me. So I really can't give a fair answer. If you're thinking of spending almost $1,200 on a new 90, however, have you considered a Pardini SP? I've decided to jump into the $1,000+ market for my next pistol. In all the research, gun-handling, and test shooting I've been doing, I think I'm going to stretch my budget and go for the Pardini ($1529).
So... I think a used 95 with a proper Rink/Nill grip is the best value. If you're going to buy new, then the 90 is worthwhile, as it's got $525 in upgrades over the 95 for about a $400 price difference. However... The Pardini IMO (and I think many others) is worth the premium over the 90. Kinda' depends on how much you want to spend.
And as I said, reliability with the Benelli was fantastic. And it shot a few varieties of inexpensive Aguila very well. I can only guess it would shoot the high-end stuff somewhat better.

Hope this helped some.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Thanks MSC, that is exactly the kind of response I was looking for.