photoscoping?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gordonfriesen

photoscoping?

Post by gordonfriesen »

Hi folks,

I would like to use a digital camera and a laptop to monitor my target instead of using a telescope. Is anybody aware of anything in the ISSF pistol rules which would forbid this?

For the curious, I am motivated to do this becasue of the hassle of scoping from a wheel chair. A floor mount is in the way. A chair mount is constantly moving as I move the chair. I know that many do use telescopes inspite of these difficulties but I am hoping to find a better way.

Best Regards,

Gordon
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Nothing in the ISSF rules.
A digital lens and laptop is going to take up a lot of space - why not put the scope on the bench?

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would have thought that this would be outlawed under the spirit of the rules. The ISSF rules state;

"The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only"

Whilst a camera and monitor is not a telescope it will be acting in an identical manner. I would therefore expect it to be outlawed in proper ISSF competitions.

All the above said, it sounds like you can already use telescopes at 10M (which are banned) so under your local rules, you shouldn't have any concerns.

Rob.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

RobStubbs wrote:I would have thought that this would be outlawed under the spirit of the rules. The ISSF rules state;

"The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only"

Whilst a camera and monitor is not a telescope it will be acting in an identical manner. I would therefore expect it to be outlawed in proper ISSF competitions.
Eh?? The rule is about not allowing telescopic sights. The OP is talking about spotting scopes which the rule specifically allows.
All the above said, it sounds like you can already use telescopes at 10M (which are banned) so under your local rules, you shouldn't have any concerns.
Rob.
There is nothing in ISSF rules that you should be concerned with. Effectively you're creating the same kind of setup as an electronic target would.

Which of course is another option.

You can also buy digital spotting scopes with built in lcd screens. They're not cheap (about $1000) I think Bushnell make one.
Last edited by rrpc on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rrpc wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:I would have thought that this would be outlawed under the spirit of the rules. The ISSF rules state;

Eh?? The rule is about not allowing telescopic sights. The OP is talking about spotting scopes which the rule specifically allows.
Not for 10m they aren't (under ISSF rules). What about rule 8.4.10.1:-
"The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only."

That being said, we do not know that Gordon is talking about 10m.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

David Levene wrote: Not for 10m they aren't (under ISSF rules). What about rule 8.4.10.1:-
"The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only."

That being said, we do not know that Gordon is talking about 10m.
Indeed. In addition if he was shooting 10m, the situation wouldn't arise as he would be changing targets after each shot (under ISSF rules).
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

And furthermore, there may be a national rule that allow a scope for the 10 meter event. In Sweden it is OK in a national competition.

I use it all the time. If one is to shoot on Megalink in an international there is just a minor difference, scope vs. monitor.
Kent
gordonfriesen

25m

Post by gordonfriesen »

Sorry for the confusion.

I was indeed talking about 25m sport pistol.

Thanks for all the replies, Taking them from the top:

Spencer: A digital lens and laptop is going to take up a lot of space - why not put the scope on the bench?

>In wheelchair shooting the posiiton of the chair is crucial. Any movement to get my eye over to the scope means finnicky readjustment. My goal is to only move my chair between strings, but not in the course of one.

Ron Stubbs: All the above said, it sounds like you can already use telescopes at 10M (which are banned) so under your local rules, you shouldn't have any concerns.

>Sorry about the confusion, I am shooting rimfire at 25 meters.

rrpc: You can also buy digital spotting scopes with built in lcd screens. They're not cheap (about $1000) I think Bushnell make one

>I didn't know about these, but as I had the idea myself it doesn't surprise me that others have too. I prefer the laptop because it is programmable. For instance finding the last shot can be hard especially if it is a double or just is not taking the light favorably. I would use a slide show set up, where you could toggle back and forth from a picture before the shot and a new one after the shot. I haven't tried this yet, but I suspect the shot should literally jump out at you.

David Levene: That being said, we do not know that Gordon is talking about 10m.

>Quite so! And your skepticism is justified.

Best Regards,

Gordon
Spencer

Re: 25m

Post by Spencer »

gordonfriesen wrote:>In wheelchair shooting the posiiton of the chair is crucial. Any movement to get my eye over to the scope means finnicky readjustment. My goal is to only move my chair between strings, but not in the course of one.
I shoot and work with 'wheelie' shooters on a (very) regular basis. With a suitable 'scope frame and mount clamped to the bench you should be able to set up the 'scope in a suitable position to minimise the movement needed to check through the scope.
Digital imaging and a laptop seems to be a complicated route to take (and most laptop screens are not great on a 25m firing line).

Spencer
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Well, I played with something similar to this. I have a small, cheap digital camera and didn't have a zoom lens. As an experiment I placed the lens of the digicam at the exit pupil of my spotting scope. Shazam! I had a 20x digital camera! Resolution was good enough to spot bullet holes at 50m. So if you can do this with a digital camera, why not try placing a webcam at the exit pupil of the spotting scope? I suspect this would achieve a similarly-positive result. Of course, my idea may be found to be full of hot air, too! ;-)