Scoring ?????

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coker

Scoring ?????

Post by coker »

Hi all,
Ok, I am a bit outdated,, I think, it use to be easy to score in the past: if the pellet ( AP) hole touches the next higher line, then it is a higher point.
60 shots for a maximum of 600 points.
With the digital and electronic scoring systems I am a bit confused.
I think:
during the match ( no final) a eg. 8.4 is a 8 points, and a 8.5 or above, is a 9 points. again, 60 shots for a total of 600 points.
during finals: a 8.4 is a 8.4 and a 9.7 is a 9.7, 10 shots for a total of 109 points, hence a perfect match with finals totals for 709 points,,
I am right??
thanks
C.
Fred Mannis

Re: Scoring ?????

Post by Fred Mannis »

coker wrote:Hi all,
Ok, I am a bit outdated,, I think, it use to be easy to score in the past: if the pellet ( AP) hole touches the next higher line, then it is a higher point.
60 shots for a maximum of 600 points.
With the digital and electronic scoring systems I am a bit confused.
I think:
during the match ( no final) a eg. 8.4 is a 8 points, and a 8.5 or above, is a 9 points. again, 60 shots for a total of 600 points.
during finals: a 8.4 is a 8.4 and a 9.7 is a 9.7, 10 shots for a total of 109 points, hence a perfect match with finals totals for 709 points,,
I am right??
thanks
C.
During the match qualifying stage decimal values are not considered. An 8.4 is an eight; an 8.5 is an eight. In fact there is no such animal as an 8.x in qualifier. Your description of finals scoring is correct.
coker

Post by coker »

thanks Fred but I am still confused, and this is due to the fact that I've never shot on electronic targets.
I believe the electronic targets always shows you the score in decimal points. so: during qualifying: ( If only) when the computer indicates a higher score point, when a 8 becomes a 9 ?
On finals it adds the decimal point, but,
a 9.9 is a 9.9 , wouldn't it be touching the 10 ring then? 9.9 shots times 10 = 99 points on final, on the other hand, if it is in fact a 10 then wouldn't it be 100 points instead.
nahh, I am confusing everybody, and tiring everybody too. I guess I'll figure it out, if I ever shot at an electronic target.
thanks, again. c
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Electronic are really no different than paper targets they score the same way and 8 is an 8 until the pellet touchs the 9 ring then it becomes a 9. The electronic don't round numbers off to the appropriate integer.

The finals are score to the 10th technical each ring is divided in to 10 and reall scored tha same as paper thus 9.0 is 9.0 until the pellet touch the 9.1 then so on. There are gauges that can be used to score to the tenth on paper targets too.

Perfect score in a final 109.0 thats 10 x 10.9
Last edited by Richard H on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

The targets I've used (Sius, Megalink and Meyton) all show decimals during sighters, "regular" scoring during qualification and decimals during final (sighters included).
However you can see what decimal each shot has if you look at the list of the last 10 shots.
Some targets also present total score and all series.
Then there are other functions, such as MPI (medium point of impact) for a number of shots and the MIC-values for the last shot, that is good to know if you suspect something is wrong. Let's say you shoot a really high eight and the target shows a 7,6 low (not touching the white paper). Then you can look at these values and if they are not almost the same then one or more sensors are malfunctioning and the calculations of your impact will be wrong. A good example: I know a shooter who suddenly got a 4p during a qualification round, but there was no hole in the white paper. One of the sensors was bad.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:...The electronis dont round numbers off to the appropriate integer....
More or less...

-The target scores the shot to what ever is the calculation limit (for every shot). If you get the complete printout, these values are available. - for Qualification rounds, the target monitor (and video output) displays the score rounded down to the next integer.
- For finals and sighters, the target monitor (and video output) displays the score rounded down to the next 1/10th of a ring.
- The shot location on the monitor uses the decimal value (or better, depending on the brand).

Spencer
coker

Post by coker »

got it,
I was a bit confused, have it figure it out now.
thanks to all.
c.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

Mellberg wrote:The targets I've used (Sius, Megalink and Meyton) all show decimals during sighters, "regular" scoring during qualification and decimals during final (sighters included).
However you can see what decimal each shot has if you look at the list of the last 10 shots.
I've used both Sius and Megalink and each shot is indicated on the monitor as a decimal regardless of whether sighter, qualification or final. It's just the totals that are scored in integers in qualification.
...and the MIC-values for the last shot, that is good to know if you suspect something is wrong. Let's say you shoot a really high eight and the target shows a 7,6 low (not touching the white paper). Then you can look at these values and if they are not almost the same then one or more sensors are malfunctioning and the calculations of your impact will be wrong. A good example: I know a shooter who suddenly got a 4p during a qualification round, but there was no hole in the white paper. One of the sensors was bad.
Different sensor values don't necessarily indicate a malfunction. If you shoot high and right for example, the sensor in that area will have a stronger reading than the other ones because the shot was closer to it. If on the other hand the sensor in that area shows a very low reading then you have a problem. Like everything, it's how you interpret the data.

Most systems (and I have the greatest experience with Megalink) will highlight anomalous pressure readings on the range computer, it's up to the technical officer to interpret if these are faults or normal. Generally a problem will manifest as increasingly deteriorating pressure values shot by shot. A once off anomaly may be just related to shot placement or even a bad round.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rrpc wrote:
Mellberg wrote:The targets I've used (Sius, Megalink and Meyton) all show decimals during sighters, "regular" scoring during qualification and decimals during final (sighters included).
I've used both Sius and Megalink and each shot is indicated on the monitor as a decimal regardless of whether sighter, qualification or final. It's just the totals that are scored in integers in qualification.
As Mellberg said, although the decimal score is always shown in the shot list, the main score display should only show the integer during qualification. That's certainly how Sius works.