Morini 84 E Sight Base

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Trev2205 wrote:Sorry to go off subject slightly, but do any of you know where I can get a compensator for the 84 ?
You mightfind you get more UK relevant suggestions on the Stirton Forum which is UK based. You will have to register to view all of the topics and to post. That sometimes takes a few days.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: Morini

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

shadow wrote:Out of curiosity, I have heard of the comp terms long and short and old and new. What are the differences?
The older (= shorter) Morini 84e compensator costs a bit less, reduces noise to a fair degree, moderately extends the sight radius, and can be a bit tricky to clean.

The newer (= longer) compensator is a bit more expensive, is slightly more effective in reducing recoil over the older version, doesn't moderate the noise as much, has larger holes which makes it easier to clean, and extends the sight radius by a fair degree. (It also could be said that a new compensator fitted onto a standard barrel results in one of the coolest looking pistols you will ever see - not that this matters of course...)

However many have said that fitting the new (longer) compensator onto a standard barrel makes the effective sight radius just too long and pushes the weight out too far so people have taken to shortening the barrel to make things more comfortable. An alternative is to get a gunsmith to make a shorter barrel using an old .22 rifle barrel and keep the original Morini barrel as-is. This means the resale value of the pistol is not greatly affected and swapping between barrels is easy to do.

I currently use the older short compensator with the front sight fitted into the most rearward position on a standard barrel.
Attachments
old and new.jpg
old and new.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Following on from that, here's something from Morini which I filed away about three years ago.

Sight radii given are with the standard factory barrel length. You can see that the minimum sight radius with the long compensator is longer than the maximum with short compensator (and the sight radius with the long compensator can extend out a huge 505mm)

===========

Standard foresight holder
Sight radius 347mm - 444mm
Weight excluding foresight blade 61.5g
Length 79mm

Original / short Compensator
Sight radius 404mm - 444mm
Weight excluding foresight blade 70.0g
Length 89mm

New / long compensator
Sight radius 456mm - 505mm
Weight excluding foresight blade 87.5g