Aha! Wrist tension is what I was missing.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Aha! Wrist tension is what I was missing.

Post by Houngan »

I bought an IZH to mess around with, then got the IPSC bug. Now that the weather is poor, I'm back in the basement. I used to shoot around 90%, a bit less perhaps, but when I picked the gun back up, I was throwing wild shots everywhere!

So, I worked on the grip (which needed it. The thing was huge) worked on MY grip, which was too strong, worked on the trigger (took out the overtravel entirely) worked on my stance, etc. But finally it occurred to me to add more wrist tension, and nothing has ever made as much difference. All the sudden, I can actually hold the 9.5/10 for a noticeable amount of time, whereas previously I was just cruising through it and snapping the shot. Followthrough is immensely better as well.

So, huge difference, but I have to ask: what exercises do you like specifically for increasing wrist strength? I can feel fatigue setting in after 20 shots or so. Also, are you able to completely isolate your wrist muscles? I'm still sympathetically gripping harder with my thumb and pinky in order to create tension.

H.
2650 Plus

developing a stiffer wrist

Post by 2650 Plus »

I worked on this problem in the following way. I took a very careful and correct grip, locked the elbow muscles then placed the muzzel of the pistol against a solid object with the shooting arm fully extended. By pressing down against the resistance you can feel the muscles that stiffen the wrist. Repeting this process over and over during your training session will train the required muscles to do what you are trying to accomplish. [ At least it worked for me] Good Luck and Good Shooting Bill Horton
warpmaster

Post by warpmaster »

Another gizmo that a lot of shooters i know use (me included) is a Gyrotwister also known as a wrist exerciser, and its actually quite fun once you get the hang of it ... and it really helps. It also comes with full instructions and a mini cd with a training video and presentation on usage.

check out : http://www.gyrotwister.de/start.php?pageID=en-0-0-0-0

you can see the Utube video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdIpOT_RIa8

cheers ;-)
Fred Mannis

Dyna-Flex

Post by Fred Mannis »

Our host, Pilkguns, also sells this unit: http://www.pilkguns.com/dynaflex.shtml
Walter

Post by Walter »

Pilkguns has an article on their site with good info by Anatoliy Piddubnyy.

http://www.pilkguns.com/pistolcoaching.shtml

Here's an excerpt—

By Anatoliy Piddubnyy

FIXING THE WRIST - TRAINING WITHOUT A WEAPON
This is the weakest point of all pistol shooter. The sooner the beginner, with the help of his/her coach, learns to dominate this difficult action, the fewer problems he/she will have in the future.
This action is difficult for one reason: the muscles, responsible for fixing the wrist, are not controlled by the central nervous system (CNS). This is why an untrained person cannot fix the wrist without putting pressure on the fingers. Since the isolated fixation of the wrist is not necessary in everyday life, the nervous connections between the CNS and the wrist are almost non-existent. It is only possible to recover them with very specific, long-term training. This training is possible not only with weapons, but in any situation where one's hands are free: while watching television, riding on a bus, talking to friends, etc. It is necessary to hold something similar to a grip while trying to fix the wrist without putting too much pressure on the fingers or controlling the degree of fixation with the opposite hand. Imagine we are holding a very heavy egg with a very fragile shell - we cannot grip to hard or relax our fingers. At the same time, we must make the movements of the index finger very slow, but very firm, making sure they are not changing the muscle tone of the wrist.
FIXING THE WRIST - TRAINING WITH A WEAPON
- Double shots with a standard pistol. 
The first shot is used to create the base, the muscle tone "after the shot". When memorizing the muscle tone, the shooter is making a second shot.
- "Double" shots with an air or free pistol. 
The same exercise as above, but the first shot is imaginary. The shooter must create the muscle tone "after the shot" with muscle memory and the force of his/her imagination.
- The 20-sec. series with a standard pistol. 
This exercise is very useful; it is the golden key to all pistol disciplines.
Twenty seconds is enough time, there is no need to rush; but it is not enough time to do a lot of aiming. If one does not know how to fix the wrist, it is not possible to do this exercise correctly. It is better not to use the shorter 10-second series, at least during the initial training phase. Shooting with a greater time limit does not help the shooter improve his/her technique, but can give him/her time to acquire bad habits (movements of the wrist).
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

nt
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

What in the world does Cricman mean in the posts "nt"
Neil
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Neil Foster wrote:What in the world does Cricman mean in the posts "nt"
No text?
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

Hi David,
Happy New Year from the "colonies"
If it indeed means no text, why bother with a post??
Strange.................
Neil