Which pistol sighting method do you currently use?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Which pistol sighting method do you currently use for 10m Air Pistol?

center hold
10%
6 o'clock
27%
sub-6
58%
a combination of the above
3%
other
2%

Total votes: 59

jon_01

Which pistol sighting method do you currently use?

Post by jon_01 »

Thought it might be interesting to start a poll or two in the AP forum. Hope this works and others find this of interest....

Jon
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I am trying to visualize what a combination of center, 6 o'clock and sub 6 holds would look like.
jon_01

Post by jon_01 »

Fred

Now that's a good question! Perhaps the answer would be lots of wobble particularly if one is making elevation sight adjustments in the middle of a shot while aiming :) Actually, I was thinking of people who might be trying more than one hold during different shooting sessions, but this is unlikely. However, in my case I was originally shooting center hold, and decided I wanted to try sub-6 after reading the Nygord notes and messages on this board. For a while, using two AP guns, I had one gun set to center hold and the other set to sub-6 to see how my scoring would fair. I was quite pleased to see significant improvement in sub-6 and have not gone back since.

Jon
Fred Mannis

a combination of the above

Post by Fred Mannis »

Jon,
I voted for a combination of the above. :-)
I have been shooting a sub 6 for some time, but decided to try center hold on my free pistol, liked the results and have stayed with it. I then tried center hold on my AP, didn't like it at all and returned to sub 6 for the AP.

Fred
2650 Plus

Hold?

Post by 2650 Plus »

For meaningful responses should we not also know the performance level of each shooter to support the response? I am repeating myself but the national BE record was fired using center hold and stands at 2680. Of 270 shots fired only 20 were out of the ten ring. This was shot 37 years ago by Hershel Anderson. He is still shooting tens. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Fred Mannis

Re: Hold?

Post by Fred Mannis »

2650 Plus wrote:For meaningful responses should we not also know the performance level of each shooter to support the response? I am repeating myself but the national BE record was fired using center hold and stands at 2680. Of 270 shots fired only 20 were out of the ten ring. This was shot 37 years ago by Hershel Anderson. He is still shooting tens. Good Shooting Bill Horton
With respect Bill, I think the choice is a personal one, based, of course, on a thorough evaluation of each technique. Polls/questions like this are useful only inso far as they may prod a shooter to evaluate a different technique.
eskinner

Post by eskinner »

Fred Mannis wrote:I am trying to visualize what a combination of center, 6 o'clock and sub 6 holds would look like.
My wobble.
Richard H

Re: Hold?

Post by Richard H »

2650 Plus wrote:For meaningful responses should we not also know the performance level of each shooter to support the response? I am repeating myself but the national BE record was fired using center hold and stands at 2680. Of 270 shots fired only 20 were out of the ten ring. This was shot 37 years ago by Hershel Anderson. He is still shooting tens. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Last I saw the National BE record wasn't shot with an Air Pistol, which is what the question asks.

Before you say anything it does make a difference, I shot sub six in AP the bull is so close that even though I don't focus on it it is still too black for me to pick up the front sight. On all other disciplines I shoot center.

Maybe if Hershel shoot sub six only 19 would have been out of the ten ring, theres no way of knowing. To base what you do based on someone elses level of performance is folly.
2650 Plus

A look at the winners

Post by 2650 Plus »

Richard, I made a practice of observing the shooters that were beating me and trying what I believed they were doing that gave them the advantage . Some times it worked and ocasionally it really messed me up. Often I decided that I simply didnt understand exactly what the other shooter was doing and until I did understand I found that I couldnt make it work for me. What I am trying to say is that I often learned fron other shooters but that it was often a problem adapting their technique to my own method of firing the solid shot. I partly agree with your comment about it being folly to blindly try to copy the way another shooter delivers his shot but learning from another shooter has always been worthwhile for me. Steve has a bit of a problem when I stress that If I can out shoot someone I contend that I probably already have a better understanding of how to deliver the shot than he does so please read my first sentence again. Good Shooting Bill Horton