Target height for free pistol.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lane

Post by Lane »

Rules show the height to center at .75M which is about 29". Plus .50M + or - ! What is the answer here. I can't belive you shoot at 29". What am I missing here.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Believe

The center of the target can be anywhere between 0.25 and 1.25m; howver all the targets on the target centers within a group of targets or range must have the same height (±1 cm).

I.e. they can be a lot lower than 29"; 0.25m is slightly less than 10".

Spencer
Gort

Post by Gort »

If you notice, the heights given are off an imaginary horizontal line, not the ground or floor. This allows for a range to have some slope to the ground. If you notice the 300 meter range has +/- 4.00M over 13 feet elevation variance allowed.
Gort

6.3.9 Height of Target Center (Center of the Ten Ring)

The center of the targets must be within the following heights when measured from the level of the floor of the firing point:

Standard Height
Variation Allowable

300 m ranges
3.00 m
+/- 4.00 m

50 m ranges
0.75 m
+/- 0.50 m

25 m ranges
1.40 m
+/- 0.10 m

10 m ranges
1.40 m
+/- 0.05 m

50 m Running Target
1.40 m
+/- 0.20 m

10 m Running Target
1.40 m
+/- 0.05 m

All target centers within a group of targets or range must have the same height (±1 cm).
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Gort wrote:If you notice, the heights given are off an imaginary horizontal line, not the ground or floor. This allows for a range to have some slope to the ground.
Only if you ignore 6.3.12 General Firing Point Standards for 300 m, 50 m, 10 m Ranges The firing point must be constructed so that it does not vibrate or move when other persons are walking close by. From the firing line to approximately 1.2 m rearward, the firing point must be level in all directions. The remainder of the firing point must either be level or may slope to the rear with a few centimeters drop.

Imaginary?

Given the cost of resurfacing the firing points on the 50m range for the 2000 Olympics/Paralympics Sydney , this is not a minor consideration.

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I think Gort was talking about a slope of the range floor Spencer, not of the firing point.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:I think Gort was talking about a slope of the range floor Spencer, not of the firing point.
My point being...

The firing point (and this is from where the target height is measured) is to be level for 1.2 m back from firing line.

Spencer
Lane

Post by Lane »

Thanks for the replys. I guess I just couldn't get it in my mind that you would shoot at a target center that low. I was looking at the chart and the 50M standard height distance is the lowest of all of the others listed. All others are almost twice the height. Just thought it might be a misprint. A local club is going to start having air and free pistol matches this January. The height question came up. I just hope the cost of getting involved doesn't kill it before it gets started. The Euro is going to really put a hurt on equipment cost. Telling someone that an Air pistol or Free pistol is going to set them back close to $2,000 is going to produce sticker shock. Again, thanks for the responces.

Post by Guest »

So if I am understanding this issue correctly, the "standard" heigth is 30 inches/ 0.75M,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,there is an allowable variance of 19.65 inches/ 0.50M. Which if I haven't totaly gone astray means that allowable target heigths can go from 10 inches up to 48 inches to the center of the x ring from the "elevation" of the shooters "floor"? Guess I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when I read the rules, it seems a bit unclear to me.

Post by Guest »

So if I am understanding this issue correctly, the "standard" heigth is 30 inches/ 0.75M,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,there is an allowable variance of 19.65 inches/ 0.50M. Which if I haven't totaly gone astray means that allowable target heigths can go from 10 inches up to 48 inches to the center of the x ring from the "elevation" of the shooters "floor"? Guess I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when I read the rules, it seems a bit unclear to me.
Gort

Post by Gort »

.75M from the ground is good as long as it is +/- .50M in elevation from the firing point. Dont think of the +/- .50M as being from the ground, it's from the elevation datum of the firing point. This standard adresses both the hieght off the ground and the elevation of the range.
Gort
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:So if I am understanding this issue correctly, the "standard" heigth is 30 inches/ 0.75M,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,there is an allowable variance of 19.65 inches/ 0.50M. Which if I haven't totaly gone astray means that allowable target heigths can go from 10 inches up to 48 inches to the center of the x ring from the "elevation" of the shooters "floor"? Guess I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when I read the rules, it seems a bit unclear to me.
a/ 50m target height accomodates all the 50m events. The range standards are the same for 50m Prone Rifle and 3p, as well as 50m Pistol - i.e. 0.75m is a compromise to meet these requirements.
b/ The allowable variation (from 0.75m) gives range construction a degree of flexibility to accommadate landform.
c/ Given the distance (50m), .25-1.25m is not a great variation
d/ the targets on a 50m range are not adjustable through this range of heights; they are set (for that range) within the specifications.

Spencer