Shooting AP, FP, SP, RF at the same time.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LukeP

Shooting AP, FP, SP, RF at the same time.

Post by LukeP »

I'm shooting AP by a few less than 2 years.
I'm shooting FP by this spring.
It's quite simple organize training session around the week: 2 days AP, 2 days FP, and during winter only AP.

Next year, i want to try at least SP and if possible (if i obtain good results) RF, but how is possible to train all this specialities during the match season?

I read Nestruev's interview, and he says:
I mean every kind of shooting is good for some technique. Air pistol is good for sights, sport pistol is good for my mind because I can shoot many times a ten, and free pistol is good for holding. The difference between free pistol and air pistol is free pistol I concentrate on the rear sight and the front sight at the same time. Air pistol I concentrate just only on the front sight and the differences also is if I has some moving with my body it's much more difficult with the air pistol then in sports pistols 25 meters, because the ten is bigger. So if the same movement I have in air pistol it's a bad nine, it's the difference.

Also on "The Vital Problems of Pistol Shooting by Anatoliy Piddubnyy",
Anatoliy said:
Fixing the wrist - Training with a weapon:

- Double shots with a standard pistol....

- "Double" shots with an air or free pistol....

- The 20-sec. series with a standard pistol.
This exercise is very useful; it is the golden key to all pistol disciplines....

Can i train, for example:
- Monday - SP Dry fire First Shot at home
- Tuesday - SP on the range
- Wednesday - RF Dry fire First Shot at home
- Thursday - RF on the range
- Friday - AP Dry fire at home
- Saturday - AP on the range
- Sunday - FP on the range

Can I obtain results in all directions, working at one particular aspect at once, like Nestruev and Anatoliy seems suggesting, or am I wasting time, doing too many things?

How do you train so many different specialities?

Thank you,
best regards,
LukeP.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Luke:

You should allocate minimum 10 hours a week per discipline. Assuming you are already "high master" level on each discipline; more if you are only shooting 90%-94% per gun.

Ahh- that explains why full-time supported world class shooters can "cross train" and normal "true amateurs" generally can't.

Steve Swartz

(Once again, Your Mileage May Vary. But each discipline requires a certain amount of focus and dedication just to "Get Competent;" and then a certain level of focus and dedication just to "Stay Competent.")
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Thank you Steve.

Here is my face:
1.Image during reading your post,
2. Image few seconds later,
3. Image then when i have understand the message.

I think my previous ideas are a little too optimistic...., but maybe there is a way to became top shooter: work more, work hard, work as the best. (wow... sound so poetic....)

Best regards,
LukeP

Pradeep5

Post by Guest »

Even if you don't take it to it's highest level, it's still important to have fun doing what it is you do. I find shooting standard and centrefire is very enjoyable. I wish they were in the World Cups. RF is quite a bit different from the air/free, in that you are traversing your body. But all have the same skill requirement, align sights, smooth trigger, follow through. I find standard helps me fight the "chicken finger", which then helps in say AP.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Luke:

"High-Larious!"

Although I am prone to exageration and/or hyperbole at times (ya don't say!) I trust my underlying points do get through.

My advice would be to train like a banshee and focus like a laserbeam on one discipline (Airpistol, for obvious reasons) and then use a judicious amount of other disciplines as cross-training. I would "spiral" out from the principle elements of technique from most-least similar.

So

AP: 70% of training effort
FP: 15% of training effort
SP: 10% of training effort
CF, BE, etc.: 5%

This will keep your skills development at a fairly high level, and also keep your interest and intesnisty fairly high.

Triple-Dittos on hte "You Have To Enjoy What You Are Doing" philosophy.

Steve
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Thank you again Steve,
best regards,
LukeP.

bryan

Post by bryan »

luke, I am newish to pistol, so sorry if I am wrong. my thoughts are your training program will be largely dictated by your current level, and what it is you want from pistol.

Steve, cross training is training one event, and shooting comps in others as well, without training them as such.

Obviously this is confined to similar events, within the same disipline.
the skill level of rapid is hard to compare with ap, yet the skill of competing is the same.

Anyone competing in either ap/fp and rapid at olympic level?

bryan
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bryan wrote: Anyone competing in either ap/fp and rapid at olympic level?

bryan
I believe the Russian junior shoots all 3 events exceptionally well (I can't remember the name). Certainly wouldn't look out of place at a world cup and as I recall, his scores would generally put in the finals.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
bryan wrote: Anyone competing in either ap/fp and rapid at olympic level?

bryan
I believe the Russian junior shoots all 3 events exceptionally well
Leonid Ekimov