Suhl 150 or CM-2 ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mike M.

Suhl 150 or CM-2 ?

Post by Mike M. »

CDNN Investments has a stock of used Suhl 150s and Russian CM-2 rifles. Price is about $550 for a Suhl (including rear sight), $350 for a CM-2.

I know that the Suhl 150s are good rifles. Are the CM-2s any good? What I have in mind is a possible conversion to a sillouette rifle. Or would I be better off leaving the prone shooters to snap up these guns and put my pennies into a Anschutz? Thanks.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I have some knowledge of the CM2. They were imported into the UK for a number of years, their main selling point being their low price. As a club gun for the beginner they were fine, as long as they were maintained. It was a fact that the internal finish on some barrels was not up western standards and they could be prone to leading. They are of robust but basic construction, although that does not imply longevity. Overall the finish was poor, well below western standards. In the UK today I think you might have difficulty in finding a buyer for one of these.

The Suhl is generally thought to be a bit better than the CM2, but once again does not achieve the quality of contemporary western products. The East Germans were very good metallurgists and the materials are probably better than those used inthe CM2. However I can offer the cautionary tale of a friend who used to import railway wagon wheels from East Germany. He said:

"They were well made but we always made sure that we imported them whole. We then had the lightening holes cut in them in West Germany. That way we knew that they would be the same size and shape"

Rutty
aom22

Re: Suhl 150 or CM-2 ?

Post by aom22 »

Mike M. wrote:CDNN Investments has a stock of used Suhl 150s .... Price is about $550 for a Suhl (including rear sight) ....

CDNN Investments: 2007-6 Catalog, Page 55
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/CDNN2007-6.pdf
Last edited by aom22 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aom22

Re: Suhl 150 or CM-2 ?

Post by aom22 »

Mike M. wrote:CDNN Investments has a stock of ... Russian CM-2 rifles. Price is about ... $350 for a CM-2.
CDNN Investments: 2007-6 Catalog, Page 55
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/CDNN2007-6.pdf
gwtaylor

Suhl Butt Hook?

Post by gwtaylor »

I recently purchased a Suhl from CDNN and loved it. I have a rule that I never buy anything unless I inspect it first so this was a difficult decision for me.

Anyone had any luck buying a commercial butt hook or plate to adapt to a Suhl 150 KK?

Will an Anschutz hook work?

Thanks!
gwtaylor

Suhl Butt Hook?

Post by gwtaylor »

I recently purchased a Suhl from CDNN and loved it. I have a rule that I never buy anything unless I inspect it first so this was a difficult decision for me.

Anyone had any luck buying a commercial butt hook or plate to adapt to a Suhl 150 KK?

Will an Anschutz hook work?

Thanks!
Gunsmoker

CM-2

Post by Gunsmoker »

I borrowed a CM-2 this past weekend to shoot a smallbore prone match.
My accurized 10/22 was not as good.
The CM-2 felt wonderful, with a light and crisp trigger probably around one pound. It shot as good as I could hold it steady.