Height of scope/dot matter?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Height of scope/dot matter?

Post by MSC »

In the realm of target pistols... I understand the reasoning for having the barrel sitting as low as possible, in proximity to the hand. But is there any benefit to having a low sightline? Or in the case of a dot or scope, it being mounted low?

I guess if you get technical about it, the higher the dot/scope is, the steeper the angle it has to be in proportion to the barrel's centerline - to line you up with the target. But that's just what you see. An 1/8" wobble in your arm is an 1/8" wobble. I think I just talked myself out of being concerned about it!

So am I thinking too much about nothing, or is it a legitimate concern - high rings, versus low?

Thanks for any feedback, on my perhaps sillyness!
tenex

Post by tenex »

Here's a couple of potential advantages (or disadvantages):

1. Tall sights put the sight line along the bullet's descending path, potentially minimizing the effect of range errors. My basement air pistol range is 9+ meters, and the difference in vertical zero between home and a 10 meter range is less than it would be if the sights were right down on the barrel.

2. Another issue is grip angle. I have a dot on my Pardini SP, which has a fairly angled grip. The higher scope forces me to hold the gun a little bit lower, and tilt the muzzle up to get the point of aim to the target. This give me a more comfortable grip angle with the highly raked Pardini grip (compared to the angle I would have to shoot it at with iron sights). This works against me with my model 41, with it's upright grip. With iron sights, the grip angle is perfect. With a dot, I feel like I need to pry the muzzle upward.

The sight line is a matter of convenience, but I think it's worth considering grip angle when you decide if you're going to shoot a dot or iron sights.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Steve.