Best trigger on 22lr standard pistol ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jipe

Best trigger on 22lr standard pistol ?

Post by jipe »

I am looking for a new 22lr standard pistol.

I have tried the Walter GSP expert and was quite disappointed by its trigger: rubber like, difficult to identify the two stages (is it ormal or did I try a bad one ???).

Now considering: Pardini SP new (heard this one has a very good trigger, but couldn't try yet), Walter SSP (read that the trigger is not so good, like the GSP ??), the Morini CM22, Hammerli sp20, feinwerbau AW93, Tesro TS22 and matchgun MG2 (may be, is it reliable now ??). How do the trigger compare between those ? I am also open to any other idea if it has a very good trigger.
maxs

Post by maxs »

I like the trigger of FAS 602/607. It's fully adjustable and reliable.

Max
maxs

Post by maxs »

I like the trigger of FAS 602/607. It's fully adjustable and reliable.

Max
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

maxs wrote:I like the trigger of FAS 602/607. It's fully adjustable and reliable.
Unfortunately the latest 607s have redesigned hammer box internals. IMHO the resulting trigger is is nowhere near as good as the 602 and early 607s
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll throw in some highly biased comments here. Take them with a grain or a pound of salt, whichever you see fit.

I have owned or currently own the following: AW93, SP1 Electronic, MG-2
I have shot or played with just about all the others except FAS and Tesro.

My thoughts on them are as follows:
SSP - disappointing trigger, when adjusted as a 2-stage still has to move all the way forward to the beginning of first stage travel to reset. The one I tried felt more crunchy than crisp.

CM-22 - feels like a pretty nice trigger. Hole in trigger guard is small, so likely not to be comfortable for those with bigger hands. Adjustment requires removal of the grip.

AW93 - adjusting for "perfect" trigger performance is difficult and time-consuming. If you want a trigger with less than 500 grams on the 2nd stage, zero creep and zero overtravel then you will be working a long time to get it with this gun. Adjustment requires removal of the grip so you can see how close to the limit you've made the adjustments.

SP1 Electronic - very nice trigger, fairly easy to adjust. Pretty much is a "Set and forget" trigger. Electronics of new design (p/n 760 or newer) work just fine. Trigger can be reset by moving the trigger forward only far enough to allow the microswitch to reset. No need to go all the way to the beginning of first stage travel.

SP1 New - mechanical - have only tried two of these pistols, both of which were set up for other shooters. As a result of those shooters individual tastes I can't say I like the trigger at all. Both of them seemed to be long and creepy, likely as a result of having too much sear engagement. I suspect this trigger could be adjusted to a much more precise feeling.

MG-2 - secondary sear lever makes this trigger slightly more difficult to adjust. Grip must be removed to adjust sear engagement. Mechanical feel of the trigger is very much like Morini electronic air pistol trigger, thanks to the two coil springs held in tension to set first and second stage weight. It's clean, crisp, with no overtravel and no sudden drop in weight after the sear breaks. It also is adjustable through a wide range of draw weights (have had as little as 50 grams on the second stage on one of mine). Adjustable trigger shoe also helps make the gun fit better for a wide range of users.

Overall, my pick of the pack in the electronic trigger world would be the SP1 Electronic for its good feel and reliability. In the world of mechanical triggers the MG-2 easily wins the contest.

Of course, your mileage will vary.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Forgot to mention the MG-2 trigger is reset by allowing the trigger to move forward to the beginning of the second stage. This makes for a nice feeling in rapidfire.
Richard H

Re: Best trigger on 22lr standard pistol ?

Post by Richard H »

jipe wrote:I am looking for a new 22lr standard pistol.

I have tried the Walter GSP expert and was quite disappointed by its trigger: rubber like, difficult to identify the two stages (is it ormal or did I try a bad one ???).

Now considering: Pardini SP new (heard this one has a very good trigger, but couldn't try yet), Walter SSP (read that the trigger is not so good, like the GSP ??), the Morini CM22, Hammerli sp20, feinwerbau AW93, Tesro TS22 and matchgun MG2 (may be, is it reliable now ??). How do the trigger compare between those ? I am also open to any other idea if it has a very good trigger.
Don't know if you had a bad one, might just not have been adjusted to where your like. I have both 2 Stage and single stage triggers in both my GSP's and a I can feel the difference between first and second stage triggers.

Same goes for Mark's assesment based on one SSP trigger? I shot a few SSP's and was allowed to adjust the trigger to my liking and it was very nice.

The Paradini Electronic trigger has had it fair share of problems (doubling) and has had a few modifications

I do agree with Mark that the MG2 probably has the nicest trigger of the all of them now if they only made the pistol reliable too.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If you're only interested in trigger quality (and a crisp letoff), get a 280 or a early SP20 with the steel trigger housing. In terms of adjustability and long time stability the best I've seen so far. Unfortunately, it's bulky and the pistols have some other deficits. MG2 is complex, but gives a nice result and can be adjusted to the smoothest roll-over this side of a vanilla smoochie. Pardinis are something of their own, I think anyone who really loves his Pardini trigger won't touch anything else - they feel somehow different to me. My AW93 trigger is absolutely perfect, but seems I'm lucky there - and I can't hit a barndoor with the pistol anyway, so it doesn't suffer much wear. Agree with David's commentary about the 607 trigger. Haven't seen a good SSP, GSP or Tesro trigger so far. Early CM22s have lateral movement in their triggers, be careful there.
kalz

Best trigger on 22 LR Standard pistol

Post by kalz »

Dear Shooters,
I desire to submit to your attention the electronic trigger of the MG2 E.
We believe it is today the best trigger on the market as for the setting possibilities as for the finger feeling.
Try it.
jipe

Re: Best trigger on 22 LR Standard pistol

Post by jipe »

kalz wrote:Dear Shooters,
I desire to submit to your attention the electronic trigger of the MG2 E.
We believe it is today the best trigger on the market as for the setting possibilities as for the finger feeling.
Try it.
OK for the trigger. You seem to know the MG2 well. What about the reliability issues of the MG2: are the different problems fixed on newly delivered models or is still a kind of lotery, some MG2 working fine others having problems ?
kalz

Post by kalz »

The problems with the MG2 or MG2 E are in the past. Now they work properly and in any case the Company is always present for the assistence.
jipe

Post by jipe »

kalz wrote:The problems with the MG2 or MG2 E are in the past. Now they work properly and in any case the Company is always present for the assistence.
Thanks for the fast info. May be one more question: what are the differences between the standard pistol version and the rapid fire pistol version, can one of them be used for both (like Walter claims for the SSP) ?
kalz

Post by kalz »

There are 4 models: Standard mechanical or electronic and Rapid Fire mechanical oe electronic.
You can use both versions for all the competitions.
The Rapid Fire is more performant in the Rapid fire competitions.
The differences are in the lighter slide and the counterweight with 4 pistons inside and, in the very next fututre, with also two inertial brakes that set at the minimun the recoil and jump of the pistol.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Kalz - could you please explain the two inertial brakes? Are they two rubber buffers that limit the slide banging (standard MG-2 has only one of these)?

Also, could you comment on the balance of the Rapid Fire pistol, please? I currently shoot the standard MG-2 without any additional weight near the muzzle as I do not like a nose-heavy pistol. How much more nose-heavy is the RF model?

Thanks for your comments and feedback on this discusion forum!
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Kalz - that obviously depends on what you want. Can't adjust that 2E-trigger to a roll-over... not even on my third electronics now... The inertial brakes are great, though!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Tycho - perhaps you could explain how each of the unique elements of the RF variant work? Please, pretty please?!?!? ;-)
kalz

Post by kalz »

I try to procede in order.
The inertial brake are two cylinders free to move inside the counterweight that dissipate the energy of the shot.
The Rapid Fire counterweight is available in steel (323 g) or in alloy (148 g). That in alloy is lighter that that of the standard in steel (177 g)
It is possible to realize a like roll-over setting the weight of the dead travel to 960 g and only 50 g on the release force. In this way when you shot your finger doesn't appreciate the difference between the first and second time.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Right. Have to say, though, that my MG2E with the RF kit is from the earliest series and was only recently updated to (at my count) V4. In view of MG's development speed, this does not guarantee for the absolutely latest info.

The RF kit comprises a barrel shroud and a lighter slide (slides are completely new now, btw, totally redesigned extractor). The barrel shroud contains a) four slide brakes, spring loaded bolts that catch the slide in its forward motion to prevent the rebounding visible on Karlslunde Sport's super-slomos and b) two inertial brakes in the lowest part, similar to the ones of Pardini, but with a bigger diameter. According to the Grande Maestro, the slide brakes work only well with the lighter slide. Empirical research seems to support that.

The 2E feels slightly heavier than the 2(M) due to the electronics. While I easily shoot the 2(M) with the steel RF shroud (heavy slide, no brakes), I couldn't do this with the 2E. So my 2E has the alu shroud, all 4 brakes and the 20gr weight in the slide cover. After slide fitting by the Maestro himself, this pistol is an absolute pleasure to shoot, minimal recoil, no rebounding of the slide. Would have been nice if he had remembered to deburr the new cradle, though... And you can't shoot a roll over trigger in the 2E, the 960/50 trick won't work. As the 2E has no microswitch, but shoots on opening of the circuit, 50gr on the 2nd stage spring won't keep the circuit closed reliably. My one needs at least 300gr on the 2nd stage, or you have a machine gun....
kalz

Post by kalz »

Dear shooter,
I'm sorry but we set 960/50 on the electronic trigger MG2 E almost every day. Maybe you have to read better the instruction book. It is impossible that it makes machine-gun because there is the mechanical disconnector and in the free pistol we reach less that 20g.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You put the 2nd stage weight on my 2E too low and the circuit won't close properly, gives you double and triple releases as soon as you touch the trigger. If 2nd stage weight is near zero, the hammer won't stay up. You're welcome to try my one, perhaps it is a faulty pistol. Wouldn't be the first one. Doesn't matter, though, crisp 2nd stage is fine for me.