Hammerli 208 or 215?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Shooting Kiwi

Hammerli 208 or 215?

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Silly question, perhaps...

Please can someone tell me how to differentiate between the 208 and the 215? One is available for sale, an early-ish example, no model number on frame.

Also, what should the muzzle crown look like and should the muzzle end of the barrel be blued or natural metal? This one has the tiniest countersink for a crown and the end of the barrel is not blued - it looks surface-ground.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

My five pence: A 215 is basically the same pistol as the 208, but without the luxury finish. Beadblasted instead of polished, simplified front sight base etc. Functions are the same, and so is the precision. There is even a 215S corresponding to the 208S. I think no 208 had the model number on it, and neither had its predecessors from 203 to 207, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The muzzle face of all 208/215 I've seen so far is natural metal, slight countersink - sounds correct. I can't remember having seen a blued face on any 208 or 215.
shadow

208 and 215

Post by shadow »

I have a 208S and a 215S. There are differences! The bbl contour is different on the 215S - a bit more rouded on the top. If you are a BE shooter a Knapp mount for a 215S will fit a 215S and 208S BUT a Knapp mount for a 208S will not fot a 215S. I know! The safety is also different. The 208S is a round knob while the 208S is a lever. If you want pictures, let me know.

They saythe finish is different - more lustre on the 208S but that is one difference that is not obviuos to me!
another Kiwi

Post by another Kiwi »

From memory they eliminated about 30 odd machining operations from the 208 to the 215. As far as performance is concerned no different all the differences are cosmetic. An easy way to tell is the 208 should have fine ribs machined down the top of the barrel from the breach to the start of the Front sight base.

208 to 208s the main difference is the ability to slide the trigger forward and aft to suit different trigger finger reach (I assume this also applies to 215 - 215s).

Yes a non-blued muzzle is normal.

My wife had a 208s from about 1992-1996 and it did have 208s on the side.

Dis-regard what the previous posted said about safeties, they are only fitted to USA models (blame the lawyers!).

They do have a weakness and that is the magazine bodies. If you shoot tens of thousands of rounds they wear out where the rims of the rounds pop up. In our experience Hammerli replaced these no charge.
shadow

215S

Post by shadow »

I am the person who owns both. Let me know if you want any pics. They clearly say 208s and 215S on the pistols. I loaned my 215S to a High Master (Conventional Bullseye in US) and he shot a 98 Slow Fire at 50 yards the very 1st time he shot it. They BOTH shoot. BTW, I also have a 208 (NON S). It has a round trigger guard and the shoe does not slide back and forth. It is an International witha single stage trigger. The shoe has a much different curve than the 208S and 215S. I MUCH prefer the "S" versions.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Been doing more research, including having a close look at more Hammerlis. This is what I found. It probably isn't the whole story: I suspect age-related differences as well as differences between models. However, it may be of help to someone.

'Cheaper', bead-blasted finish, supposedly a characteristic of the 215, couldn't be distinguished from the 208. Is this age-dependent or a myth?

One 215 proudly carried '215' on the frame, the others had no identification.

Barrel ends may be blued or natural.

Seemingly the most obvious difference is that the 215 barrel is taller for a short distance from muzzle to just behind the fore-sight, providing the sight ramp, whereas the ramp is part of the sight on the 208, whose barrel is the same section all along, and has an anti-reflection, transverse milled pattern all along its flat top. The 215 had a cylindrical-section top, with a coarse-feed, turned finish.

Trigger mechanisms seem more mysterious. Sources suggest more complex and more adjustable mechanism after No. 40335, with blade adjustable fore-and-aft after 43295, but I don't know which model had which trigger type. Can anyone enlighten?