K38 for centerfire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dlb

K38 for centerfire

Post by dlb »

The S&W K38 Model 14 had come up in the .32 Ruger SA for international centerfire?! thread. Rather than distract that discussion, I'm starting a new thread.

So what modifications to the model 14 are desirable? - and is the SA version truly SA only, does the hammer not have a DA sear?
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

The single action version of the K38 is truly single action. If you pull the trigger with the hammer down there is slight movement of the hammer, but by no means will it cock and fire. You must cock the hammer manually as with any single action. Regarding modifications, about all you can do or might want to do is put on a set of real target grips, i.e. with thumb rest.
Spencer

Re: K38 for centerfire

Post by Spencer »

dlb wrote:So what modifications to the model 14 are desirable? - and is the SA version truly SA only, does the hammer not have a DA sear?
- set of target grips to fit the shooter
- blacken the sights
- feed good ammo
- clean regularly
In other words, provided no amateur gunsmith has no ruined the gun, pretty much as supplied.
For those who shoot sub-6, about 1/2 mm off the front sight helps (otherwise the rear sight can (will?) pop out at its extreme up adjustment)

I'm glad that I have a .38Spl K14 in the 'working tools' safe.

Spencer
Mike Taylor

Mods to K38

Post by Mike Taylor »

If you use centre hold, you might find that you 'bottom out' the rear sight and your group on the target is still high (I did). In this case, a taller front sight is required, or a rear sight that gives more downward movement. I replaced the S&W rear sight with one made by Behlert, but I understand these are no longer made. The Behlert sight provides more downward movement. (It also has a "nicer' sight blade - more like that on a Model 52.)
Anyone know of a currently available rear sight (to fit a K38) that offers more downward movement than the stock sight?
Mike T.
JamesH

K38

Post by JamesH »

A Millett rearsight is a good addition, it improves the sight picture.
Not sure if they offer more downwards travel, the old S+W T screws seem shorter than the new ones.
Milletts are available with various blade heights, 0.312 or 0.360in

For an old K38 Millett sights are supplied without the front screw hole, you need to machine it yourself to suit the gun.

Also a trigger stop, either get the built-in one working or drill the frame or trigger.

And work out a load, the classic 2.7gr Bullseye and 148gr HBWC is a start.
RJP

S&W Model 15

Post by RJP »

The S&W Model 14 is a very good target revolver and the Model 15 is just as good. With the modifications listed above and a trigger job, the only differences are a 4 inch barrel instead of the 6 inch Model 14 barrel and a ramp front sight instead of the Model 14 patridge front sight. I took a Model 15 that I bought at a gun show for $250, added grips for $200, and a local gun smith added a trigger stop and a Weigand rear sight blade for another $60. For a little more than $500. I have a very good Centerfire gun. I never had a jam or any malfunction with the revolver. I don't pick up brass off the floor. I can use several other bullets besides the wadcutter designs the autoloaders use. Currently I am firing a 124 grain semi-wadcutter bullet. I find the lower recoil of the lighter bullet is just a tad bit more than a .32 firing a 98 grain bullet.

Since police departments are now using autoloaders, there are a large number of good quality .38 special revolvers available at really bargan prices. Most of all, shooting Centerfire with a revolver is just plain fun.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Any recommendations on a gunsmith for these? - I suspect that mine could benefit from an action job.
2650 Plus

Upgrading S&W revolvers for Int Comp

Post by 2650 Plus »

I can recomend Travis Strehan if he is still doing revolvers. He was the best I ever bought a pistol from. I believe you will be well satisfied with his work. Just a tip, Don't send money up front . I found his priority for work went to the guns he had not been payed for yet, and if he already had my money it was easier to work on guns that would bring in more cash. Also, be prepared to listen to his ideas after you tell him what you intend to use the pistol for. He is easily the most knowlegeable gunsmith with.whom I delt. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Bill Freyfogle

Revolver works

Post by Bill Freyfogle »

I've had excellent results with Clark Custom Guns. Call them up and talk to them. They do a lot of work on revolvers.
Bill