Hand measurement for grip size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pauln

Hand measurement for grip size

Post by pauln »

Hi There,
Looking at buying an LP10, and wondering what is the correct method to use when measuring your hand to select a grip.

Thanks,
Paul
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

Across the knuckles is the correct way. If you go to the Rink website you will get an indepth explanation.
pauln

Post by pauln »

rrpc wrote:Across the knuckles is the correct way. If you go to the Rink website you will get an indepth explanation.

Thanks for that
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Visit the Steyr website: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.com/index2.php?lang=de. The pistol page shows diagrams of the various grip sizes.
supperdog2

Post by supperdog2 »

Who about a person has a wide palm but short fingers?
pauln

Post by pauln »

GaryBF wrote:Visit the Steyr website: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.com/index2.php?lang=de. The pistol page shows diagrams of the various grip sizes.
Thanks, my hand is 90mm across. How does that correspond to the Steyr diagrams?

Paul
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

The best thing is to try as many grips as possible. When i ordered my gun they sent me both a Nill grip and a Rink for me to try out. When I compared the both I found that the Nill grip suited me much better (the rink made my hand hurt after a while).

Rink has some information on how to select the right model at: http://www.formgriffe.de/english/parameter.htm
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pauln wrote:
GaryBF wrote:Visit the Steyr website: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.com/index2.php?lang=de. The pistol page shows diagrams of the various grip sizes.
Thanks, my hand is 90mm across. How does that correspond to the Steyr diagrams?
They don't size according to hand width. I suggest you look at the site.
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks Guys

Looks like medium is the size for me

Paul
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Paul,
My hand also measures about 90mm and the medium factory grip fits nicely, however, the palm rest is at the bottom of its travel. If you are unsure you might want to go with the large and take up any extra room with the palm rest. I doubt that the girth is very much different.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

GaryBF wrote:Paul,
My hand also measures about 90mm and the medium factory grip fits nicely, however, the palm rest is at the bottom of its travel. If you are unsure you might want to go with the large and take up any extra room with the palm rest. I doubt that the girth is very much different.
Can't speak for changes medium->large, but I can say that I found a significant difference in the girth of a Morini grip in going from medium to small.
dmarschal

Post by dmarschal »

Hello,
It's hard to decide the correct size from a simple hand width.
Try the following:
Measure your hand placed on a flat surface and do it again when keeping your hand like holding an invisible match grips. The difference would be 3-8 millimeters depending on your hand's thickness. That's why the gripmakers sell 'thick' and 'thin' variant of there match grips and why the wrong sized stock hurts your hand.
In my opinion the best is to get one size smaller stock and fit to your hand. If you have short fingers then that's the only solution to have well fitted grips.
pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks Guys, excellent advice

Paul
jipe

Post by jipe »

Another solution: knowing that the Rink grip is better than the standard LP10 grip, draw the form of your hand laying flat on a piece of paper, send it to Rink and ask them to provide you with their best fitting grip for you.

Rink grip have two more parameters: flat or convex, normal or thick.

You should also tell if you are a cross shooter (right hand with leat eyes or opposite) or not because Rink has special grips for cross shooters, something not available from Steyr.

About taking a smaller grip, I wouldn't do it because smaller means less bulky so you can indeed add some material to make it fit to your hand but it also means reduced heigth meaning there is a risk that it is too small even at the maximum adjustement of the palm shelf.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jipe wrote:....knowing that the Rink grip is better than the standard LP10 grip....
That isn't actually true. The Rink grip is different to the Steyr grip and, as a result, may suit some people more. There are also some people (like me) who do not like the feel of the Rink grip.

Neither is better than the other.
jipe

Post by jipe »

David Levene wrote:
jipe wrote:....knowing that the Rink grip is better than the standard LP10 grip....
That isn't actually true. The Rink grip is different to the Steyr grip and, as a result, may suit some people more. There are also some people (like me) who do not like the feel of the Rink grip.

Neither is better than the other.
I would say that the Rink grip may suit more people because there are more variations/adjustments parameters available, where Steyr gives only the choice between right/left and the grip size, Rink grives:
- side: left/right hand
- size: xs-xl (for left and right hand grips, Steyr has the extremes only for right hand)
- form: flat or convex
- volume: normal or thick
- angle: 0 or 7degre angled
- the palm rest adjustment can be done separately for front and rear, meaning that the angle of the palm rest can be adjusted what is not the case with the Steyr grip

Now, you are right, no grip type fits to everybody.