Pardini 9mm vs STI?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fozzy357

Pardini 9mm vs STI?

Post by Fozzy357 »

Pardini is the flavor in Europe, but the double stack STI is so sweet!
I wanna here from you guys , what is best?
Sti does not have a ajustable trigger, Pardini does. STI rules in the States, because?

Post by Guest »

STI? Pardon the potentially stupid question but what is an STI?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Not something you'd want to use for ISSF matches...
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I tend to agree with Tyco, but if you are looking for an action pistol that you could should ISSF Centre Fire match with my bet would be on the Pardini.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

I really like my pardini GT45 for use in bullseye matches compared to a 1911 45. I don't know what an STI is. The pardini .45 recoils like a 9mm so I like the GT for the timed events, fast recovery. Dwaine.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

STI "rules" (IPSC and PPC; not "precision" events) in the states because with IPSC and PPC the "Kewl Factor" is very important.

For precision large caliber events- as others have pointed out- precision is more important than marketing (and, more seriously, "modularity and after market gizmos"). Therefore, designs based on the M1911 "rule" with Pardini making a very credible dent in just a couple of years.

Different horses for different courses.

Steve Swartz

(my favorite in the big bore spray/pray category is a Springfield double stack M-1911 in .400 Cor-Bon. Suh-Weet! But none of this actually fits within the target talk charter . . . )
Mike Taylor

STI vs Pardini

Post by Mike Taylor »

A guest asked, "STI? Pardon the potentially stupid question but what is an STI?"
Enlightenment available at: http://www.stiguns.com/

The Pardini 9mm is double stack, too, is it not? (My GT45 is)

In my limited experience, action pistols have lighter trigger pulls than permitted by ISSF Centre Fire and NRA Conventional Pistol rules. Thus, if you want to shoot both action and bullseye (ISSF or NRA) with the same pistol, the advantage lies with, as Brian suggested, the adjustable trigger of the Pardini.
jipe

Post by jipe »

an STI:
shadow

STI

Post by shadow »

What a study in contrasts.....

imagine the STI alongside a TOZ!
David M

Pardini PC/GT v's STI (1911)

Post by David M »

The comparison is between the Pardini PC/GT series and the STI (1911) semi auto pistols. Both are available in 9mm, 40 sw and .45.
They can be used in Action pistol (NRA), Bullseye, PPC, IPSC and Service pistol events.
Some of these events are speed based and others are precision based, unfortunatly the intended match was not mentioned in the origional post.
Both are locked barrel type actions with double stacked mags (single stack 10 round mags are available).
The STI is a 1911 clone with lots of add ons but a fixed trigger (gunsmith modified or adjusted) , the pardini is a ISSF infulanced pistol with a much more raked grip angle, adjustable two stage trigger (no grip safety).
For someone who shoots a lot of ISSF pistols the Pardini will fit your hand a lot easier than the 1911.
The 1911 has much more available in the way of after markwt parts and gizmo's.
Try both and see which one you like, I would take the Pardini for a precision event and the 1911 for a speed event.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

David:

Can the 45 ACP Pards reliably deliver 1.5" - 2" 10 shot groups at 50 yards yet? I know that was a "precision" limitation couple of years ago.

I accept that the ergonomics of the Pards may be better for a lot of folks (lots of M1911 fans out there though); however, that group size thing is kind of important too for some events. I know (at least initially, years ago) they weren't ransom resting out tight enough for BE slow fire . . .

Steve Swartz
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Steve
My old Pardini 40 cal was good for 2 to 2 1/2 at 50yds with power factor loads (fine for service pistol), but our gun laws now limit us to 9mm/38 as the largest cal.
I ended up replacing it with a Sig P210-5LS. because Pardini took too long to produce a 10 round mag (nearly three years).
David
Moi

You're in the wrong forum

Post by Moi »

You're in the wrong forum for this question. Most of these folks have never even seen an IPSC match. I suggest you ask the same question here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

The accuracy POTENTIAL of both guns is probably similar, however, the COST of achieving that accuracy (and especially the cost of getting it back after years of shooting) will probably be lower with a 1911, at least in the states. There are many pistolsmiths who can get a 1911 to shoot under 3" at 50 yards and a few that can get well under 2". I am not sure about the Pardini. I have not been able to get groups that small from the Ransom Rest or off the bench.

The Pardini has a very nice adjustable trigger. If you want to play around with roll trigger, crisp trigger or anything in between, get the Pardini. This is difficult, time consuming and expensive in a 1911.

If you want to shoot open sights and like your European airgun and/or standard pistol, get the Pardini. The sights are very good. I wish someone would make a comparable sight for the 1911.

If you want a gun to shoot for years, then tighten it up when it gets loose, get a 1911.

If you want to play with loads and use a ransom rest for testing, get a 1911. You can carve your own grip adapters for the Pardini, but I have not been entirely happy with my results and poor RR groups make me wonder, is it the gun or the inserts?

If you really want high capacity, then the STI is a good way to go. I've heard some negative comments (but have not actual experience) that Para Ordinance and especially Kimbers won't hold their accuracy as long as other manufacturers. If you can live with 7 or 8 rounds, then there are other 1911's at the same or lower price (Rock River Arms and Les Baer come to mind). I doubt there are many gunsmiths getting the kind of accuracy we expect out of STI's. Not because they are bad guns, but because IPSC does not require it. Fast and reliable is more important in that game.

Just a few thoughts on the subject,
Steve Turner