Morini 162 EI short cylinders - how much do they weigh?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

Morini 162 EI short cylinders - how much do they weigh?

Post by IPshooter »

If there's a difference filled or unfilled, would like to know that, too. ;-)

Stan
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Stan - mine tip the scales at 178 grams.

Think about the physics behind the full/empty question for a bit... This is air we're talking about, not Co2. I'm sure there is equipment sensitive enough to weigh the difference between a full and an empty cylinder, but the reality is that, unlike Co2, there's essentially no difference between a full and empty air cylinder. At least there's not enough weight difference for my 1-gram resolution scales to be able to detect! ;-)
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Mark,

Thanks for the info. My full length cylinder comes in at 214 grams with a full load of heavy, sea level air.

BTW, did you see the wink? :-)

Thanks,

Stan
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Now you know why I shoot the "short" model rather than the "long" model. Since I difficulty with a nose-heavy pistol, the added weight of a long tank, plus extra barrel weight, etc just made it an unworkable proposition for me.

As for the full/empty part, I wasn't entirely sure how to interpret the wink, so launched into an explanation just to be safe. Next time I'll try to be less thorough... LoL
edster99

Post by edster99 »

From being a diving geek I can tell you that at 20C, the mass of air is 0.001205 kg/l. So if you know the number of litres used between empty and full (bar * volume) you'll get the mass in kg. HTH

regards

Ed
terrypchan

Re: Morini 162 EI short cylinders - how much do they weigh?

Post by terrypchan »

Yes, I see the winks, but in all seriousness I think most of you are mistaken if you think a full AP cylinder has almost no weight difference over an empty AP cylinder. Yes it is air, but it's highly compressed air. The Morini short cylinder holds enough compressed air to weigh about 7 grams heavier than the empty cylinder.

A full size Morini cylinder (or Steyr, FWB, etc) has about a 14 gram weight difference between a full and empty cylinder.
terrypchan

Re: Morini 162 EI short cylinders - how much do they weigh?

Post by terrypchan »

And in fact, using the formula that edster99 posted, you would get:

0.001205 kg/l * 200 bar * .06 liters = .01446 kg or about 14 grams.

The volume on my Morini short cylinder is clearly labeled .06 liters.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

Its a 200 bar cylinder but I guess you only run it down to about 100 bar ? The weight difference is based on the pressure change, so its more likely about 7g. Not much out of 1000g...
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Well then, I stand corrected! Questions like this one always unearth some very interesting and helpful responses.

Let me rephrase my initial answer. The weight I quoted above was for a full cylinder. I guess the reality is that it's nothing like shooting Co2 where you burn off 40 or more grams of gas. I'd find it pretty hard to detect a 7 gram shift over two complete matches (I get about 2 matches per cylinder).